The Forest

~~~

~~~

Pandora's forests hold many dangers. It holds the story of my youth and family.

Year's worth of memories run deep into the roots of the trees and are sung in the breeze between the leaves. It is nearly impossible for me to hold on to each memory made in the forest.

My songcord helps me remember every significant moment in a series of beads and gems.

A gem for the birth of my younger brother Neteyam, only a year after my own. A mighty warrior and my closest companion.

A gem for my oldest sister Kiri, and my brother Lo'ak. And one more for my youngest sister, Tuktirey.

Most of my childhood was spent alongside my grandmother, Mo'at, who taught me the ways of the Omatikaya in only a way that a future Tsahík would need to know.

My grandmother always kept a strict schedule with me when it came to my teaching. Though she would never admit it, I think a part of her is still traumatized by the amount of stress my mother put her through when she was in training for Tsahík.

Of course, the remainder of my time was spent alongside my siblings aiding them in every adventure our hearts desired to seek.

I would often hear the elders shun the Sully name saying that the children were too curious and clueless for their own good. Maybe a part of them was right, as many of our outings ended with someone earning a new scar and giving my dad a new headache, but no one knew what it was like to be a Sully.

I tried to contain a smile as my mother applied the pigmented paint to my face delicately.

"Remember to look after your brothers out there, Tsu'teyni." my mother instructed, focusing on my face. I only nodded my head in response, which seemed to satisfy my mother enough.

My eyes wandered over to my two brothers as they sloppily tried applying each other's face paint eagerly. I tried to keep in a laugh as Neteyam shunned Lo'ak for moving as he worked.

My mother dismissed me from in front of her once she was done, allowing me to make my way to my brothers.

"skxawng," I laughed as I began to wipe off the sloppy parts of Lo'ak's makeup as he rolled his eyes. I then turned over to Neteyam and rested a hand on his shoulder, with a smile in thanks. He only offered a slight grin in return as his nerves were too uneasy.

"Lo'ak, I will personally kill you myself if you do something outside of order," I warned as I mounted my Ikran, Tsawke, with anticipation.

Lo'ak ignored me entirely, mounting his Ikran, alongside Neteyam.

Once we were in the air I scanned as the Na'vi below us swarmed the train that had just been de-railed. Battle cries of excitement filled the air as my father's voice came to my ear letting us know we had two minutes.