Outsiders

~~~

~~~

The next morning I swam out to the reef with my brothers. While I still wasn't the best in the water, I could always be of use to my family.

"So how do we do this?" I asked hesitantly as I looked at the net I was holding.

"Lo'ak and I will hold the net open, you scare the fish into it," Neteyam patiently explained as I looked down in embarrassment. I hated being the one who was behind everyone else.

I only nodded as I sucked in a sharp breath and went underwater. The aquatic world around me lit up as I swam around the coral. I made sure to keep my eyes on the lookout for the specific type of fish Neteyam had described. Once I saw the silver glint of a fast fish flash by, I was locked in.

I followed the fish, trying to hide behind rocks so it wouldn't scare away. When it finally lead me to its school, I smiled softly to myself in success.

I let my eyes zero in as I prepared to swim swiftly in their direction. I took off in the water and scared them forward. Fish began to slap against my body, startled, causing a slight pain to ache in my legs and torso.

I kept herding the fish in the direction of the net until I finally saw the familiar rope in front of me. I backed up slightly to get out of the way as the fish applied pressure by running into the net. I looked up and saw my brothers begin to close the net on the fish.

I swan up to the surface and broke the water with a satisfied grin.

"That was easy," I gloated as I watched my brothers hold the net tightly.

"Beginners luck," Lo'ak assured as he began to swim towards the shore with Neteyam. I only laughed as I trailed behind them feeling a small sense of accomplishment.

As we neared the beach I noticed Kiri floating face down in the water. Our movement must have changed the current because she looked and waved at us as we neared her.

"I caught our dinner," I stated, causing Lo'ak to huff in annoyance.

"We all caught dinner, together," Neteyam added being the kindest of us. Kiri only rolled her eyes before she plunged back into the water.

"But if you want to take all of the credit, then you should carry it back," Lo'ak whined as he placed the heavy net on my shoulders. I quickly grasped the rope and smiled.

"Rodger that," I said before turning my heel and walking to our tent. The trek was short, but I could feel my shoulders ache as I reached the village.

As I walked by Ao'nung's tent I felt a slight pain run through me. I no longer belonged there and there was nothing I could do about it.

I shook my head free of thought as I turned towards my tent. As I entered the opening, I could hear my mom humming to herself lightly while she worked.