Take You Down: Chapter Twenty Seven

Madison

As I get ushered inside a half lighted hospital room, I peer with my eyes, getting adjusted to the new environment. The smell of foam and new leather hits my nose and I crinkle it, the smell not comforting me one bit.

When I spot Jake, propped up in a long, white and uncomfortable looking bed, my heart pangs. He stares tiredly at me and a small smile makes way to both of our faces when we see each other.

"Miss you have ten minutes," One of the nurses say softly. My eyes never leave Jake once however.

I hear the door close quietly behind me, letting me know it is just me and my brother now. I walk forward, hesistantly, as if one step will throw him into an unlikely and unwanted coma.

When he shifts in the bed, I walk over to him a little faster. Spotting a stool, I bend down and drag it forward before sitting on it.

"How are you feeling?" I asks, grabbing on of Jake's hands.

He closes his eyes and shrugs, his shoulders moving at a more sluggish pace than what any normal kid would go at. "I feel fine, but Dr. Teddy looked scared when I came in...so I don't know."

I nod my head and frown in confusion, "Doctor Teddy?"

"Uh huh," He confirms, "I told him he looked like a teddy bear and so he let me call him Dr. Teddy."

I surpress a smile and squeeze his hands. Despite him being half drugged and drowsy, he is still the cutest brother. Although, when he grows up, I think he'd kill me if I mention this.

The thought of him growing up makes me think of how he could've been in more unfortunate situations. I grow serious at the thought of that and all signs of laughter vanish, leaving me with a suttle determination to be the supportive, caring sister I will always be--now more than ever.

I lean forward in my seat, and even the half conscious Jake straights up slightly at my sudden seirous posture.

"Do you remember what happened, Jakey?" I speak softly, somehow believe that the softer my voice is, the better his head will be. After all, even though he's on an injection, the side effects could wear off at any time.

He furrows his eyebrows deep in thought and stares up at the ceiling. A few moments go by of his opening and closing his mouth, and each time he does, my heart sinks deeper and deeper inside my chest.

Wreckless drivers should be punished, especially if their actions effect toddlers and innocent children. The anger that first surges through me at the thought of a drunk driver swerving and knocking over jake on his bike with trainer wheels.

Then, the sound of Jake's inquisitive voice snaps me back to his face, "Actually," He begins in a kiddish, pondering tone, "I don't remember much,"

I sigh, hating how badly this concussion was affecting him. A few years ago, when I had recieved the honor of having a concussion through soccer, I learned a few things.

If the injury is fatal, there will be blood leakage that's impossible to stop.

If the concussion is major but not deadly (yet), memory loss for a short period of time is one of the side effects.

And lastly, if the concussion is minor, dizziness, vomitting, nausea, and all the other flu symptoms are 'normal' signs.

Deciding not to push his limits, I work around his brain block and ask, "What do you remember?"

Jake shrugs, "I remember eating a ham sandwhich before that."

"Before what?" I press, wanting him to spill some information without him really knowing he knew.