CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Two months later...

I smile at Max through my phone screen. It's six o'clock in the evening, and I have a pasta bake bubbling away in the oven, the curtains drawn, and my toes getting toasty in a foot warmer.

"Hi, beautiful," he says, looking worn out. "Tell me about your day."

A question he asks me every night. There hasn't been one where we haven't spoken, building up to this weekend when we finally get to see each other.

"It's been a good one," I say, breaking off to turn the heat up on my feet.

"Yeah?" he says, soft and fond.

I nod, getting back comfortable against the cushions. "I took your gran to the garden centre. The one in Brigg that she loves. We spent our time in the cafe and looking at all the plants. We bought some and spent the afternoon in her garden potting them all."

His smile is infectious. "She loves her garden. You must be tired, baby. I know she would have had you rushing about."

"I found it pretty relaxing. We planted some stuff that will bloom when you get out," I say, the mix of pain and excitement on his face crushing at my chest.

This week has been one of him fighting his demons. The previous therapist left unexpectedly, causing some distress for Max as the new guy unearthed all the old memories for him.

"Tell me about your day." I attempt to take his mind off whatever is plaguing him. "Did you spend some time in the sauna?"

He sighs. "I did. Bloody love it in there. Nobody ever uses it but me." 

"You don't go in there in the nude, right?" I ask, causing him to burst out laughing.

"Fuck do you brighten my day? I can't wait to see you," he says, a soft yet painful look on his face.

I would be lying if I said I haven't been counting the days, hours, and seconds. I'm lost without him here, and so sad he's missing out on all the pregnancy milestones.

"I bought some stuff to make dipping chocolate dessert," I say in an attempt to take his mind off whatever's plaguing him and back to looking forward to the weekend.

"Show me," he says, stopping me midway to the kitchen when an alarm blares his way.

He groans. "Group therapy. I can't miss it. I can call you later, right?"

I put on the brave face I have perfected over the past weeks, where our phone time is constantly disturbed. It's bettering him, and in the long run, we will be grateful for it, but right now, I'm feeling a bit sour.

...

Max is holding me. We haven't moved from our spot on his bed for almost an hour while I pet him, and he scents my neck. The warmth of his skin brushing up against mine is the cure for my loneliness over the past few weeks.

"You're beautiful," he whispers, palm stroking my belly.

"There's the start of a bump now, huh?" I say, comforted by his gentle touch. The spread of his hand was warm and safe.

It's nothing crazy, but big enough to notice with a tight top. It's the first thing Max zoned in on when we embraced, pulling back to undo my coat so he could get a look at me.

"It's so cute," he whispers, kissing my lips. "Just perfect."

My cheeks flash pink as happiness fills my heart. It's so good to see him like this... so clear-headed. "I bought some maternity trousers the other day. I probably don't need them, but I couldn't help myself."