CHAPTER SIX

PENELOPE

PENELOPE

"Do you want to do some online shopping for Christmas presents?" I ask Beatrice who's now resting on her armchair in front of the window. "I brought my laptop with me."

"Yes, please, darling. I have no clue what to buy people, so you can help," she says, shuffling around to face me.

I set up my laptop on the arm of the couch so she can see too, pulling up the internet. "Who are we buying for first?"

"My Maxie," she says, and I join in on her grin. "I usually buy him a posh aftershave and some pyjamas."

"Okay." I look for a fragrance website and let her take a good look at the choices. "I know he usually wears Spicebomb," I say.

She taps my arm. "Yes, he did mention that one to me the other day. Can you buy that for me, darling?"

Once I checkout, we search a few websites for pyjamas and settle on some brushed cotton ones from Next. She makes me pick out a pair for me too, so she gets the right size, letting me know Max is helping with my other gifts.

That warms my heart.

"Max says I should get something for Benjamin because Maggie is getting me a present. I only met the woman once. I don't know what to buy her kid," she says, rolling her eyes really dramatically.

I struggle to contain my laugh. "A toy, maybe?"

"Sure. You pick," she says unenthusiastically.

A car teddy bear. I'm sure he'll like it. I've never had to buy for a kid before, but they're grateful for most things, right? Especially at his age. While she's choosing the colour, I wonder if Max will expect for us to choose our gifts out together or if he's already done it.

Beatrice chooses the blue car teddy. "Anymore nightmares? I don't want you worrying about me, my sweetheart. Do you hear? Anyone put their hands on me, I'm breaking every bone."

"None so far," I say, reaching over to squeeze her hand.

She squeezes it right back. "Good girl. So, I usually get gift vouchers for the others, but, can you do that online?"

"Yeah, do you know their email addresses?"

"God no. Can't I just get them delivered here?" she asks, tipping her head to get a better view of the screen over her glasses.

I decide it will be easier for me to go into the stores later to pick them up for her instead. We browse the Handmade Soap Company website for me to gauge her reaction on some things I saw for her.

It works because she ooh's and ahh's, giving me the opportunity to buy them for her when she says she's going to the toilet. She appears a few minutes later rubbing cream in her hands.

"Don't get old, Penelope. It's a pain in the arse," she says, lowering down on her seat.

I shut my laptop and frown concernedly at her. "It's no fun, huh?"