CHAPTER ELEVEN

PENELOPE

PENELOPE

As soon as we get back to Scarlett and James' house, Elsie rushes to the playroom, shouting for me to follow. 

I do, sitting down on her play mat while she digs out toys from the chest. I catch the Disney Princess teddy, putting it beside my knees. Elsie stumbles over here with arms full of different toys.

"Let's play," she shouts, dropping them all on the floor to grin at me.

I pick up the Cinderella teddy to start combing her hair when I forage for the small, pink hairbrush. Elsie talks to her dolly, rocking it like you would a proper baby.

The small blue bruise forming on her forehead catches my attention in this bright light. "Does your head hurt?"

When she looks up at me, she shakes her head. "No, it does not hurt."

I reach over to stroke her cheek. "Are you sure, sweetheart?"

She shuffles closer at my contact, smiling so sweetly up at me. "Yes, promise."

"Okay, baby," I say, making the soft toy dance.

She giggles, wriggling around too, gasping when Max's big frame appears in the doorway. The big guy treads over here, grabbing a space next to me.

Elsie finds him some toys, going to hand them over before changing her mind. The dolly she was nursing lands in his lap along with some clothes and a bottle.

"This is your baby and Penelope is the mummy," she says, watching him with patient eyes.

Max nudges my side while I grin over at him, encouraging him to put some clothes on the doll. "Isn't there any warmer clothes for him?" he asks.

"It's a girl!" she shouts rather offended before she rushes over to the chest to pull out more clothes. A coat is launched at him and some tights. "Dis will be more warm."

Max thanks her, turning to look at the doorway when a knock echoes through the house. James passes our door to go see who's outside, Else running to the window to get a look outside too.

"Oh, hey, Maggie," James' voice travels in here, my entire body going stiff. "Yeah, of course, come on in. We're actually just preparing lunch. Max is here."

"Brilliant, thank you! Benjamin is sleeping. Can I put him down in Lucas's crib?" she asks and James obliges.

When Max chances a look at me, I'm still playing, not wanting him to know I'm affected, but on the inside, I'm a building bag of nerves.

"I'm sorry," he murmurs uncomfortably, trying to get the tights on the dolls legs.

I keep my eyes down. "It's not your fault." But this is about to get awkward.

"Where's Max?" she's asking James as they walk down the staircase. "It'll be nice to see him alone. Penelope doesn't like me very much."

There's silence from James, Max putting the doll down angrily to stride out of here. Else watches him go with a small frown, getting up to go after him.