CHAPTER TWELVE

PENELOPE

PENELOPE

I think we need to talk.

I left Maggie on read. It's been two days since she sent the text message. To be honest, I don't know how to answer her. She might want to talk, but I sure don't.

I haven't told Max yet, he's been super busy at work, trying to finish the big hotel job his company got at the start of October. We spent a few nights apart this week, so I'll tell him when we meet for dinner later.

For now, I'm contemplating dying my hair. It's been a deep copper colour for so long, I'm wondering if I should put some brown streaks through it. My hairdresser does not look impressed as she stares at me through the huge mirror in front.

"Please do not do this," she begs, running her fingers through the strands. "You have such wonderful hair. People are paying a fortune for this colour right now."

I tilt my head to look at her playing with the strands and nod in defeat. Okay, so maybe she's right. If I do something drastic and regret it, it's hard to change back.

"Just a cut then," I reply, and she grins.

The knock on the window beside the hairdressing chair makes me jump. Scarlett grinning as she waves with Angelica strapped to her chest and Lucas clinging to her side.

"Hey! Come in here!" I say, turning and waving when she does. The hairdryers are loud, but I still hear her asking me how I am, Lucas surprising me when he leans down for a cuddle.

Scarlett laughs, wrapping her arms around a snoozing Angelica, encouraging Lucas who seems fascinated by my face. I bop his nose with my finger, laughing when he snuggles into my chest on a low chuckle.

"I'm so sorry about lunch on Sunday," she says, thanking Hayley when she brings over a chair for her. "I felt so awkward practicing kicking you guys out, but Maggie was so upset."

"It's honestly fine," I reply, stroking Lucas's hair out of his face. It's so soft. "No need to apologise."

"I'm really worried about Maggie... I don't think she's thinking straight." She replies, expression sad.

I don't know what to say, because if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all.

"She's lucky to have friends like you and James," I reply instead, getting up when Hayley asks me to follow her to the sinks.

Scarlett takes Lucas, letting me know she'll wait for me. My hair is washed, scalp pampered and conditioner slathered on before I'm holding the towel on top of my head as I walk back to my seat.

Hayley goes to make us both a cup of tea, bringing a box of chocolate biscuits to eat too. Scarlett let's Lucas suck on some veggie straw crisps she brought along to keep him occupied while we all chat.