Chapter 43: The One With The Parachute

"Sometimes the people with the worst past, create the best future"- Hazrat Umar-Ibn-Al-Khattab (R.A)

My stupid hands just won't work. I tried wiping down the cell phone screen three times, but the noodle soup has made it slippery. My hands are also blistered in a couple of places, and they won't quit shaking with the nerves.

What do I do?

EMV is unhelpfully silent, for the first time ever.

I have no idea whether Areeb is still alive and breathing, I couldn't concentrate on the details that the hospital lady gave me. "Trauma" and "Possible Quadriplegia" might as well be Elvish, for all that I can understand. My tongue is stuck to the roof of my mouth. What if he dies?

He isn't my favorite person on earth, but I still don't wish death on him. Oh Allah, please, please don't make him die!

I try ringing Adiba and Ali, but they must have been in the middle of dinner, because neither picked up. Maybe I should just drive there, and leave a message for Ali....

The idea scares me. I don't want to face this alone at all. South City Hospital, is a good distance from my place, and I'm not sure I can drive at this moment. I badly want Shehzer with me right now. I need his strength, his stability, in this insane moment, no matter the selfish motives.

I dial his number with difficulty, and wait out the ring-tone.

"Assalamualikum, Mina? what's up?" His deep voice sounds happy.

"Shehzer, I need your help. I can't drive because I was just eating noodles, and I am sure he is dead already. So please, just get here quick!" I rattle off tearfully.

"Mina calm down! Why are you sobbing? Relax, love, and tell me clearly what's wrong." his reassuring tone calms my nerves to some extent.

He remains quiet as I explain the awful phone call.

"What do I do?" I hiccup after the story.

"I'll be at your place in a minute." He says tonelessly before hanging up.

I take a check of my appearance with a mental groan, and run off to grab a long cardigan and shawl to wear over my PJ's. He always did have terrible timing.

I mindlessly grab a handbag, and throw in my wallet, car keys and cellphone. The doorbell rings as I am dashing around hunting for a hair tie. Too late. Ugh, Medusa hair it is then.

I yank the door close behind me before clicking it shut, barely paying much heed to my fiance.

"We might be too late already, we have to hurry, he can-" I stutter to him, as I fiddle with my Alto's car door.

"Mina. Stop." Shehzer has to actually grab my arm to make me halt. "Is it really necessary? Going to...Him.?" His face is devoid of any expression, and it shocks me.

"He is my best friend, Shehzer, who might as well be dead!" I retort brokenly.

"He is your former best friend, and fiance sweetheart. Someone who almost broke you beyond recognition." the banked anger in his eyes makes his endearment sound hollow, and meaningless. "Why did the hospital call YOU, of all people?"

I am speechless. He is treating Areeb like an insignificant stranger; someone who doesn't deserve help from loved ones during his crisis.

"I don't know why she called me. Okay?" I yank my arm away from his grip, "I just know that he doesn't have anyone else with him, and he is either dead or dying in a hospital bed. Will you help me get there or not?"