Chapter 31: The One With All the Goodbyes

""Do you hate people?

I don't hate them...I just feel better when they're not around." 

― Charles Bukowski, Barfly

Areeb's parents are here.

I have no idea how I am supposed to react. There's nothing in the book of etiquette regarding your Ex-fiance's parents. He wasn't just a fiance though, he was also a life-long friend, I grew up with. Which makes this all the more complicated. Do I ignore their presence? Do I spit in their faces, for raising such a jerk? Do I add rat poison to their tea? What is the accepted behavior here?

EMV is scowling mad; 'Let's throw them to Kulsoom nani's mercy!'

I decide to hide in our kitchen and eavesdrop on the conversation going on between the two sets of parents.

Areeb's Mom is sobbing; "Ayesha, Amin Bhai, You have no idea how utterly humiliated and desperate we feel after Areeb's actions...."

His dad is subdued and sounds almost dead; "I know it is too much to ask, but I hope in some time you will find it in your hearts to forgive us. It seems unfair to ask you to forgive our son. What he did is unforgivable..."

My parents mostly stay silent, and hesitantly accept their apologies. Even though I know how hard it is for my dad to yield on something like this. My parents are a constant source of inspiration for me. They are politely, patiently accepting someone's regret, and apologies, despite the fact that they hurt them.

"I wanted a daughter so badly! with Mina, I thought all of my dreams, and wishes would come true... But, It was't meant to be. I am so, so sorry. I never raised him to be this cavalier about relationships! I feel inadequate, as a mother." I hear some more suppressed sobs from Farah Auntie, which makes my heart clench invluntarily. She sounds so desolate, and hopeless. For the first time since the break-up, I realize that I am not the only one who was affected by this.

Areeb's father insists on paying for any advanced costs and expenses we had already incurred on the wedding ceremony, while my parents steadfastly refuse his offer. They also wanted to return all the gifts we had sent over for Areeb before the engagement, and after it. My parents suggested that they donate all of it to a needy family.

I quietly head upstairs, and start collecting all evidences of Areeb from my room. I grab a spare carton and stuff any book, any souvenir he ever gifted me with. In went my favorite Mickey Mouse snow-globe, followed by the twilight collection he had gifted me as a joke. My eyes caught my stunning purple engagement dress hanging in my closet; I folded the heavy dress in half before stuffing it inside. I push, the delicate pearl necklace he gave me, inside an African, leather hobo pouch. The last to go is my stunning sapphire ring. I carefully place it inside it's velvet-covered box, and add it to the pile.

My life with Areeb can fit inside a twelve by eight cardboard box. I smile humorlessly, wishing it were that simple to purge the memories of him and his treachery from my memories.

I am panting by the time I carry the box downstairs. Areeb's parents are just about to leave when they are startled by my appearance. Neither of them can look me in the eyes, and I feel slightly sorry for their guilt. Nobody deserves to be humiliated, and humbled by their own child.

I mumble a salam to both of them.

"Auntie, this is stuff that he...Stuff that I'd rather not own anymore." I gently push the box towards her.

Her hands hesitantly come up to grasp the box. "Mina Beta, will you ever forgive us?" her eyes look wild, desperate. "I just want your forgiveness. I don't want a broken heart on my conscience! Allah doesn't forgive the wrongs done against his creation, even if he does forgive the wrongs done against Him....Please find it in your heart to forgive us, if you can!"