Chapter 9: The One With Mama Bear

Mom is in the kitchen making perfect "Gol Rotis" (Round Breads), by the time I muster enough courage to confess about the whole Areeb Car scene. How to ease into it?

EMV isn't cooperating. 'There ain't no easy way of telling your Ma that her baby got proposed in a car today.'

Ugh...This is so awkward. Here we go.

Me: "Ammi."

Mom: "Hmm?"

(kinda chickening out)

Me: "Wow, Love the smell of...is that Bhindi (lady-finger)?"

Mom: "Okay. What do you want?"

Me: "Wha--, nothing Ma, can't I just compliment your cooking now and then? without my motives being questioned like a common criminal?"

Mom: "You hate Bhindi."

Me: "I think you're confusing me with Ali. He hates vegetables. I LOVE them."

I am so going to hell. I am a liar. I LIE!

Mom: "Mina. I have a sum total of two kids. Three, if you count your father. I think I am capable of remembering who likes to eat what. It is my duty as a mother, to know this. *insert mini glare*"

Me: "Er...ummm...ok. *cough* I guess I do want something."

Mom: "What?"

Me:"A hug. I want hug, and then I want you to hear me out."

Mom: "Astaghfirullah! I knew it. I JUST KNEW IT..."

Me: "Huh?...But I haven't even told...."

Mom: "YOU HAVE A BOYFRIEND DON'T YOU?"

Me: "WHAT? NO!"

Mom:"...You sure?"

Me: "YES I AM SURE I DON'T HAVE A BOYFRIEND MA! Ya Allah! you have got to stop watching those Turkish Melodramas!"

Mom: "You haven't asked me for a hug in the past 20 years or so. Excuse me for jumping to conclusions!!"

I immediately felt so guilty, it was bone crushing. She was right. I was always closer to my dad, than Mom. All the affections, secrets i shared were with him. I honestly couldn't remember the last time I took the time out to just sit with her and TALK. Just me and my Ma. I felt slightly disgusted with my selfishness. I came running to her for emotional support and guidance, while she could never do the same with me.

I did end up hugging her tightly, despite all the flour on her hands. Then I told her everything about today's car ride with Areeb. She criticized me for accepting his offer to ride with him alone, she didn't nag about it though, which I loved about her. Shockingly she wasn't too surprised that Areeb had proposed.

"You are such a good catch my beautiful Daughter. I am surprised that boy took this long to propose." She kissed me on my forehead, making me feel like I had won at life. Just because my Ma was praising me. "Do you want us to accept his suit on your behalf then?" she inquired.

"I want you and Dad to make the decision for me. You know both of us well, and I trust your judgement in this."

This Goody-two-shoes speech earned me some more Love from Mama Bear.

......................

Areeb called me on my cell phone just as I was about to fall asleep, clutching my latest novel.

I was so sleepy, I barely made coherent conversation. I told him that I had informed my parents of his intentions. Now he had to bring his parents to our place, as our tradition dictates.

"Hey, you don't feel weirded about our relationship do you?" He asked anxiously.

"Is Kitkat sweet? YES! I feel weird about it Areeb. I never actually imagined us, as you know... together."

"Uh, but not weird enough for it to never happen right?"

"If you don't want me to think too much about it, you have GOT to STOP MENTIONING IT."

"Okay Okay!! geez! you PMS-ing or something?"

"Aaand that's why I am weirded out. Gadhay! (Donkey) hanging up in T-Minus 2 seconds."

"Okie. Take Care bae"

"If you want me to marry you. You will NEVER call me bae."

"Gotcha Bae."

He hung up before I could rant some more.

Of course I am weirded out by the whole situation....honestly, physical attraction aside; It was truly difficult for me to imagine spending my life with my best friend. Maybe not a "Bad" difficult, but a "WTF" type difficult.

EMV points out: 'Oh! so imagining married life with a total stranger is perfectly easy for ya? as opposed to someone you know so well?'

Ugh....hate it when she is right.