Chapter 11: The One with The Swear Jar

My little "breather" from the family, turned into an hour long lazy hangout with my trespassing neighbors. Shehzer mostly kept quiet, choosing to silently observe me play "patty cake" with Rania. The kid may have slower physical reflexes, but she was so enthusiastic, and bubbly about EVERYTHING, I couldn't help playing with her until my hands were raw with all the clapping.

I am not a kid friendly person, God knew my relationship with Shehzer's cousin, Devil Spawn (AKA Salman) was hardly healthy. The blasted kid threw a chicken at me for God's sake. So my reaction to Rania was un-explainable.

She was so innocent, and trusting that within the hour, she was sleepily sprawled across my lap, letting me braid her silky brown hair.

"She is beautiful." I whispered in wonderment to Shehzer.

"She is my life." He said so simply, and without thinking, that I had no doubt, he was speaking the truth.

"I don't know how to ask this without appearing rude...but she seems...special?"

His soft eyes immediately turned protective. His stubbled jawline hardening slightly. EMV clucked her tongue, 'Now you done it girl.'

"Yeah she is special. She has Down's Syndrome. She will turn 14 this year, even though she looks so much younger."

"I am so sorry."

If possible his eyes go even colder. "Don't be sorry. She is just like other kids. Not as smart maybe, but I make sure she is not left out of anything that kids her age are involved in. She loves her world, just the way it is; and that is good enough for me."

"Is this her first time in Pakistan?"

"Yep, her first time travelling anywhere. After she was born, Mom had some medical complications, which effected both their healths. Until she was 5, We couldn't risk travel because of the extra care, and treatments Rania had to go through."

Oh! so this is why he never returned after that last summer, 13 years ago.

"Well, the neighborhood kids certainly missed your funny accent every summer." i teased him, trying to lighten the mood. It worked, and he grinned cheekily.

"Neighborhood missed me huh?"

"Oh yeah! they missed your silly game rules, and the way you tried to play cricket like it was baseball."

"Ahaan....Did you miss me then?" He is still grinning, kinda lopsided. His nose is his funniest feature. it looks like it broke multiple times, and he simply taped it back together or something. The lopsided smile makes his face so adorably imperfect, I couldn't help "Aww-ing" inwardly. EMV is rolling her eyes so bad, I fear they might fall out of her head.

"Pshhaw.. No way! why the hell would I miss you? I hated you remember? Freaking un-invited superhero you were. Popping everywhere I messed up!"

Rania peeks out from beneath her hair.

"Shazz! MInnna said HELL! ...SHAZZ! She has to pay the swear-jar!"

I smile confusedly at her. "Swear Jar?"

'Shazz' snorts at me, "Oh yeah! she has a swear jar! every time anyone says a bad word in front of her, they have to pay a dollar as fine. I think she is planning to pay her way through college with it or something. It is huge now."

Rania tugs me back to her, "Dad never gave me Swear jar money. He said A LOT of bad words! I Don't like dad."

"Rania, that's enough!" Shehzer says sharply, he eyes me like I'm going to think less of him, just because of what his father is like.

I pretend to ignore Rania's information.

"You know what Rania, I don't have any money on me right now, But I promise, tomorrow when we meet up here to paint the princess, I will give you A hundred Rupees. They are kinda like a Dollar nowadays."

Her eyes light up like fireworks at my promise.

"Can Shazz come too."

I eyed Shazz discreetly, and shrugged. "Sure, Shazz can come. If he brings us painters some food."

She immediately latched herself to her older brother, pestering him, until he gave in. I gave her a hug, before heading downstairs. I immediately began anticipating my "Paint Date" tomorrow.

A/N:

Down's syndrome (DNS) is a genetic disorder, which effects the physical and mental growth of DNS patients. With patience, love, proper exposure, and monitored medical care, there's no reason why DNS patients cannot attend High School or even college, and live up to be as old as 50-60 years old.