Chapter 15

In the familial sanctuary of his home, Hiro finds his mother reclined peacefully on the couch, her eyes fixated to the television's colors flickering. On spotting Hiro, her face brightens, her smile radiating a warmth that momentarily cuts through his heavy thoughts.

"Welcome home sweetie," she greets as she watches him instinctively shuffle towards the familiar dining table. "How was your day?"

Struggling to plaster an unburdened smile onto his face, Hiro responds "It was okay." His heart squeezes as the words he offers felt ill-fitted.

Her maternal instincts, keen as ever, sense the unspoken turbulence beneath his calm exterior. "You must be tired, let me wash you some fruits before you head to bed." She raises herself from the living room couch and makes her way toward the fridge.

As Hiro sits at the dining table, he observes his mother, her hands deftly peeling a pile of vibrant fruits. Each stroke of her knife is a familiar dance, a rhythm etched into the crevices of his childhood memories. Her face is soft in the kitchen's warm glow, etched with lines of love and wisdom that he once took for granted. He misses her - misses the everyday simplicity of shared meals, quiet conversations, and laughter that rings louder than any despair. The investigation has cast a shadow on these moments that he cherishes, demanding his time and energy.

Guilt gnaws at his heart. He sees all that he has missed, all that he yearns to reclaim. He yearns to unwind the threads of time, to bask in these quiet moments with her, unburdened by the gnawing urgency of his mission.

The ticking clock of his mother's life, an unshared secret, feeds the fires of his anxiety. Each passing moment pulls her closer to an end she is blissfully unaware of, a burdensome countdown Hiro alone must carry. The bitter realization that his time with her is as precious as it is fleeting tightens around his heart, lending a newfound resolve to his purpose.