Ina Garten's Beef Tenderloin

Ingredients1 beef tenderloin roast (4-5 pounds), trimmed and tied2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper

Editor's Tip: Your butcher may be able to trim and tie the roast for you.

DirectionsStep 1: Season the beef tenderloin

Preheat the oven to 500°F. Place the beef on a baking sheet and pat the outside dry with a paper towel. Spread the butter on with your hands. Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.

Step 2: Cook the beef

Roast in the oven for exactly 22 minutes for rare and 25 minutes for medium-rare. Ina isn't messing around!

Step 3: Rest, then slice

Remove the beef from the oven, cover with aluminum foil, and allow it to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes. Remove the strings and slice the filet thickly.

This Ina Garten beef tenderloin recipe truly couldn't be any easier. It's a great way to let this tender cut of meat shine. It's the perfect blend of delicacy, which can be dressed up or dressed down, depending on what sides you serve. While the steak is cooking and resting, you can make your sides, like, roasted vegetables .

It's a lot of meat, so if you don't have a big crowd, you can always halve the recipe. And if you do end up with leftovers, definitely try one of these for lunch the next day.

Tips for the Best Beef TenderloinDon't skip the salt

If you're going to make this beef tenderloin, the most important thing is to not skimp on the seasoning! It might seem like a lot of salt, but it's the only seasoning, and it's just the right amount.

Use foil

Line your sheet pan with aluminum foil to make for easier cleanup.

Let the tenderloin rest

Don't skip the rest period! While the steak is sitting, the juices get re-absorbed into the meat, making it tender and delicious. Give it that full rest time so the flavorful juices don't just leak out everywhere when you cut into the roast.