CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO,

THREE DAYS LATER, Justine and Gabriel finally left their ship and landed in Arecia. Justine glanced around the busy docks, at the small group of people who had been sent to fetch them—small, because their arrival was meant to be lowkey anyways, and nodded in greeting as some of the servants came forward to help move their luggage.

She turned to Gabriel. "You're staying in court for a while, then?"

He nodded. "I've been gone for more than two months. There would be a lot of affairs I need to settle in court before I can visit home. The season is still ongoing, anyways. I'll head to my country estate when the season ends."

"That seems like a good plan."

Arecia's docks were no less well-built than Sai nor Gira's. Justine made her way through until they'd arrived at the gates, where some carriages were waiting. She'd chosen western attire to wear today. A creamy-white coat with a cotton blouse, along with a pair of beige breeches. But she wore some Saian jade jewellery, and her hair was pulled up in a bun with a ji, the Saian way.

A compromise. She was here in Arecia, so she'd wear Arecian fashion. But her roots were Saian, and her country was what she represented.

"Lord General Stoneworth," this was said with a large bow, before the man before them turned to her. "General Lan. I am Franklin, one of the stewards of Vanhen Palace, where the Prince and Princess are currently staying."

Prince Stephen had his own palace, his own court. But for now, the newlyweds would be remaining in Vanhen Palace, where the King and Queen lived on a permanent basis.

"Pleasure to meet you."

"Please," Franklin said, "if you'd please come with me. It would be a short ride to the Palace. I understand you may both be tired, so it would be encouraged for you to take a break on the way there. There is a feast tonight that Prince Stephen and Princess Irina would like you to attend."

Justine glanced at Gabriel, who nodded. Their roles had reversed now. Here, she had to turn to him for help, and thankfully he was willing to offer it.

So she replied, "Thank you, Franklin."

And then they boarded the carriage. There were multiple, and only Franklin got onto theirs with them. Justine and Gabriel sat facing the front, and Franklin sat opposite them. Clearly, he had been instructed to tell them things on the way there.

"Sir," he told Gabriel, "your usual room has already been cleaned up for you."

"I'm very glad to hear that. How fares the King?"

"Well, sir. He recently went on a hunting expedition in celebration of Prince Stephen's marriage, and he returned with much bounty. Much of it was served during the wedding."

"Was it a good event?" Justine asked. "I am very sorry to have missed it."

"It is our apology," Franklin said, "that such unfortunate circumstances cause the two of you to miss the wedding. Lady Katharine has already been sent off to the countryside, where she will stay. I believe her family is considering sending her to Hrishna for a few years, until she corrects her character."

He was saying all of this to show Justine how friendly the Arecian court was. Very likely this was what Irina had been putting up with for the past month or so. It was, of course, far better than hostility, but such delicate politeness and carefulness with words got annoying to the recipient after a while, if the person saying them in the first place did not lose their own temper first.

But because Justine could be the epitome of politeness when she wanted to, she offered the kindest, sweetest smile she could muster and said, "That is good to hear." But really, she could not care less.