CHAPTER THREE,

GABRIEL STONEWORTH COULD not wait to return to Arecia.

It was not as if there was anything wrong with Sai. No, his stays in the empire had always been pleasant. The Scarlet Palace knew how to throw a party, and despite the prize of his broken ribs (now healing, thankfully), Arecia was his home. And he had never been someone comfortable in places other than his own territory. Stephen and the others teased him about it sometimes, how he always preferred staying in his room then going around with them elsewhere. Stephen had always been an extroverted child. Frederick just wanted to do whatever Stephen did, and, well, Katharine would do anything Stephen asked her to.

He'd always known, like he'd told the Saians and his friends. He had just simply never thought she'd go so far.

It was exceedingly fortunate General Lan had not consumed all the poisoned drink. As much as he disliked the woman, well, it would be a damned shame if such a promising young general left the world of the living just because of petty jealousies she had no hand in.

Gabriel had never felt quite comfortable around people outside his personal circle either. No one knew how to read him. He'd always been taught by his father, a celebrated, retired general himself to keep his emotions to himself. And with his measly band of friends, he'd always had to be the one playing the adult. Farnsworth was a friend, as with Archsham, but neither were people in his own circle. They were acquaintances at best, people who'd have a light chat when they encountered each other at some fancy event, but no one he'd actively seek out the company of.

Besides, they were preoccupied with their wives.

It left him in a rather awkward situation.

His valet had been sent ahead to inform his family of his recent injuries, heroically gained while saving the Princess of Sai from the path of a rampaging horse. His father and brothers would have a good laugh over that, he was sure. That meant, though, unless he was going to traipse around with the crewmembers (the captain seemed like a good enough fellow), he was going to stick with Justine Lan.

The truce had been a suggestion by Stephen right before he'd left. "You're the two best and most promising military leaders of the generation, please for the love of god and all things holy start getting along." Or something along those lines. He'd pondered upon it, wondering how he could do it for a long time without seeming as if he was backing off or admitting it was his problem, which it wasn't.

At the end he'd decided to do it through a meticulously worded letter, through the Crow, who had been instructed to take care of him and keep him company while he recovered, since all the other guests had already packed up and left. The boy, despite being a few years younger, was fine enough to keep around. Although a bit snarky, he was clearly reliable and responsible, which was more than enough for him, really. He would by no means act as if they were the best of friends, but they most definitely got along. And to a lonely man such as him, that was already satisfactory.

Unfortunately, the Crow was not on the ship.

Thus, his current misery as he slowly ate his meal at dinner. Farnsworth and Archsham were discussing something he had no real interest in. The Saian women were speaking in rapid fast Saian he could not bother keeping up with. While he was fairly proficient with the language, he was nowhere as fluent as a native like them. He chose to stay quiet.

The captain and the crew members did not eat with them. They were all noblemen and noblewomen one way or another, so it wouldn't have been considered proper. And despite being someone who usually strictly adhered to the rules, all Gabriel wanted to say in that moment was, quite simply, fuck that. Fuck the rules. Among this group he was the odd one out.