CHAPTER EIGHT [2],

THEY FINISHED THEIR drink and left the cafe after paying, and the two of them sent the Colonel on his way. They were a street away when Gabriel finally couldn't resist. "Mr Kasongo. Who was he?"

"You do not recognise him."

"No. But you do."

She glanced behind them then, making sure no one was in earshot. Then she leaned closer and whispered, "The Panther."

Gabriel blinked in alarm. Justine didn't quite look at him, just studied his reaction in her peripheral sight. "The mercenary."

"Him precisely. I did wonder where he retired. I hadn't quite expected Gira to be on the top of the list, but here he is now."

"What? Why is he here? Does the Colonel know?"

"My guess? No. The Colonel has no idea. And I don't think the Panther's here for trouble. I doubt the damned man would have a cafe otherwise."

"How did you recognise him?"

"I know his name. And I've fought him before. Lost, in case you're wondering. That leaves a certain impression in your head."

"How on earth do you get into a fight with the Panther?"

"Stumbled in on him midway through a mission. It was in Vayante. We'd taken the town and he was lingering around. He had a record of working for the Meliqueans, but I think he was just there by coincidence now. Either way, we fought. And I lost." She didn't mention Ciri's relationship with him, or as much as it could be considered a relationship in the first place. It was more of a brief acquaintanceship, or just a partnership.

Ciri's ability to find allies was ridiculously impressive.

"Dear god," Gabriel muttered. "You're certain he's retired."

"A hundred and ten percent sure."

That seemed to assure him, as he changed the subject and asked, "Are you going to return to the club tonight per the twins' invitation?"

"I might," Justine admitted. "I can't think of anything else I could really do here anyways."

"Agreed," he said. "And I rather think Lady Cirinique, at least, would most definitely go. And if she goes, so would Archsham."

"And then Cass and Marcus as well," Justine said wryly. "Yes, we're most definitely going. Where have you been for the past hour?"

"I found a bookshop," he explained. "Stayed in there for a while and then got bored. I was just walking by when I saw you and Colonel Watson."

Justine glanced down at the watch on her wrist then. "It's already almost three." The club opened at four or five, if she remembered correctly. But she personally had no interest in going until at least six, for dinner. And then the ship was leaving at ten, so they'd have to be there by nine or so. Three hours at the Weeping Flames, that made sense.

"Is there anything you wish to head to?" he asked. "Unless you want to go alone. I have nothing else to do, really, so I might as well just follow you around."

Justine turned to glance at him with one brow raised. "What makes it seem like I know where to go here?"

He lifted one shoulder. "I'm just hoping you do. And Gira is a Saian vassal state."

"That does not mean I know where to go." Justine really didn't. She knew the overall of Gira, of course, but there weren't that many sightseeing spots worth actually visiting in Gira. It was a tiny island that was mostly used as an intermediary for ships and trading and almost nothing else.