The masquerade

The silence of the elevator going up to the 32nd floor of the Grand Mingyun Tower Hotel was only heightening your anxieties.

You fiddle with your mask stick, already regretting not wearing it properly like others at the party.
It was alright, at these kind of parties de masking was a game, it would come off eventually.

You had no problems getting here or giving the doorman your invite.

You were surprised that you hadn't stumbled over your words or fallen over yet. Things were going well.

You glanced at the clock in the elevator. 9:25.

Just in time.

Your outfit was subtle enough for it to be okay to wear to a restaurant afterwards if you happened to run into an old friend.

Since the theme was Alice in wonderland Cilla had added little red hearts on your mask so you could pass it off as a queen of hearts.

You couldn't help but check yourself out in the mirror of the elevator as it ascended.
Cilla was certainly good at his job, the dress fit perfectly.

You heard it ding as it came to a stop.

You lifted your mask up to your face, stepping out of the elevator.

You were immediately greeted by the smell of alcohol and the sound of smooth jazz.
You remembered parties like this, there were some people that seemed to only exist at these parties like they lived there.

You were beginning to feel out of place at the event despite just getting there, but Mr and Mrs Huang came up to you.

"Oh Miss Y/n!" Mrs Huang smiled at you sweetly "you have grown beautifully, im sure the whole of Fontaine is rejoicing in your return."

You chatted idly with the old couple

"Not much has changed since your departure, im sure you will recognise some of the other attendees"
Mr Huang says.

"Oh yes!" Mrs Huang pipes up "we invited that charming gentleman, Isaac. You two were close, no?" You kicked yourself internally, of course Isaac would be here, how could you be so stupid.

As the couple greeted another set of guests you made a note to look out for Isaac, while most people were in masquerade, his olive green hair is difficult to miss.

You almost hid behind a pillar in the ballroom a glass of a beverage you had not checked the label on in your hand as you swirled it.

You scanned the crowds of people only for your eyes to flick to the entrance again. Your grip tightened on your glass as you saw a few figures enter.

Fatui, three harbingers in fact.

Arlecchino, Pantalone and Capitano. None of them were in costume. Way to kill the mood.

Now you were looking out for two potential problems instead of just the one. Pantalone would definitely recognise you; Capitano might not be such a problem though, he might recognise you from when one of his soldiers bumped into you but that's not a typical conversation starter.

And on top of that you still hadn't located Isaac.

You took a sip of your beverage, rosé champagne possibly, typical of Fontaine.

"I should have asked for a move concealing mask" you muttered to yourself.

You eyed the exits in the ballroom just in case you had to make an escape.

You watched as Pantalone chatted with the Huangs. The other two harbingers seemed stoic and indifferent to the party.

You thought you were safe observing them however after the regrator finished talking with the old couple his gaze snapped to yours and you look away.

You watched the reflection in the champagne glass as you saw the group led by Pantalone head in your rough direction very slowly.

You figured that you couldn't take any chances so you left out of one of the near exits and walked down the halls.

You gave your hand a rest letting your masquerade mask fall with your arm.

You decided to do a couple laps of the corridors surrounding the ballroom.
You were completing your third lap when you bumped into a certain green haired degenerate.

"Oh! Hey Y/n i didn't know you would be at this party. You look simply ravishing."

"Hello Isaac" you said stiffly trying to fake your smile.

"Care for a dance?" He takes a step closer "we ought to return to the main event, no?" You took a step back uncomfortably.

"I- Um- twisted my ankle yesterday- uh, yeah! Soo sorry i can't dance with you tonight." You fumbled for an excuse, backing away more until you felt the wall behind you graze your back.

"Oh come now Y/n~ we both know that is not true" Isaac said teasingly.

His hand slipped around your waist as he tried to direct you to the ballroom.

"Get off!" You said trying to wriggle out of his grasp.

"Come now, Y/n. It's just one dance." He released your waist but was cutting off the circulation in your wrist.

He pulled you out into the ballroom and led you to the dance floor.

The feeling of dread pooled inside your gut as he lead you further only for a composed and sultry voice to stop him.

The voice tuts "Mr Isaac, surely you know better than dragging women to dance with you? that little conversation I heard you two have would have me believe you dragged Miss L/n against her will."

That voice called you Miss L/n, but not as in your mother's last name but your father's. It was Pantalone.

A/n: cliffhanger!!! Also when did this book hit 1k!!!????? I love y'all soo much. Also Fontaine is out and it's nothing like the setting I described 😬😬😬.

Also I'm thinking of giving Y/n a cryo vision, any suggestions or objections?