Chapter 4

Chapter 4:

   As the son lies unconscious in the hospital, the daughter goes to look for holy water on the advice of the Reverend Father. Phonuma, who is left alone in the family’s ranch, finds a big mess, because this morning this Inthra, her husband’s sister, who has never been to the hustle and bustle of this ranch, is now carrying a small suitcase and standing in the middle of the house.

   “Hello, Phii Phonn.” Inthra waved her hand gently but Phonuma knew that people like Inthra would not come well.

    “What did you come here for?” she asked in a low voice but worried about her sister-in-law’s big suitcase.

   “I will be accompanying you Phii Phonn. Win is still in the hospital. There’s only Phii Phonn and Lin left here, only 2 women in this ranch, it’s scary. I think I’ll be staying with you for a while.”

   Phonuma was speechless, although Sawin was in charge of this ranch and this ranch was not named Inthra as one of its owners but this single woman was born and grew up here because the field was inherited from her husband’s parents.

   “Where did Lin go? Or she hasn’t woken up yet?” Inthra asked, after ordering her servant to bring her large suitcase up to the previously closed room, it was known that she had returned to retrieve her own room. Before she didn’t dare to step on here ever since Amon, her elder brother passed away, because he had been attacked by Sawin until they couldn’t get in each other’s face.

    “Lin... Went outside…” Phonuma dared to say that her daughter was away and didn’t know when she would return, Inthra is not very trustworthy.

    “Wow! Well that is Phii Phonn well raising your kids, the son is still lying in the ICU, the daughter just got out of the hospital yesterday and wandered outside the house. The car is so wrinkled the brother is marginal and the younger one has only a few abrasions, so problematic.” said Inthra, then glanced at her sister-in-law who still had a calm expression, not knowing how much she would think but at least try to talk.

   “...Half of this ranch is also owned by Win, if Win is not around, it would... undoubtedly belong to Lin.”

    “In, what are you trying to say?” Phonuma endured her sister-in-law’s words, cutting her part in frustration. Inthra not only has a bad mouth but also encourages mothers to look at their sons and daughters divided.

    “Oui! I’m just saying to warn you, I know that Phii Phon raised the children well. Siblings are in love with each other but... Who knows, brothers kill each other because of wealth.” Inthra said that and shrugged her shoulders as if it wasn’t a big deal, pretending not to know how angry the sister-in-law was looking at her with an angry look.

   “If anything, I would like to go for a walk and look at the ranch for a bit, I haven’t been back in a long time. I don’t know what will change, we all know that Win’s turn is a dictator who will die. He could cut off any part and sell it and put the money in his own pocket without telling anyone.” After dropping another bomb, the husband’s sister walked out of the house. Leaving Phonuma to follow with dissatisfaction but unable to do anything.

   …

    Bueng Kan is a small province that is divided from Nong Khai Province, partly bounded by the Mekong River. The people around here are both Thais and Laotians who have crossed over the Mekong River.

   The car rented from the airport drove into the relatively quiet neighborhood of the province, the traffic was thin but still enough to see some rural lifestyle. The houses in this area are also a two-storey shophouse that are planted next to each other, mostly opening the ground floor as a food shop, grocery store, sporting goods store, a monk’s wares shop. The biggest shop is the motorcycle shop on the corner of the intersection they drive past.