Chapter - 26

It had been around three to four days since Naruto had been coming over to her place. He would religiously stay the night, keeping her company, and never leaving enough room for her to feel lonely. College had started to become increasingly fulfilling because Hinata was starting to spend more and more time with him and his friends' circle. How nice, I'm so lucky to be his friend. Her problems and burdens seemed to have significantly lightened. Waking up everyday was more exciting than stressful, because she was beginning to get used to waking up with him being there to wish her a cheerful morning. It felt like her life was taking shape.

 She was just clearing away the dishes after the dinner with Naruto's help, when she stared at his broad back as he walked away. She couldn't help but notice something about him. 

"U-Uzumaki-kun..."

"Yuup, tell me, Hina." His back still turned to her, the blonde was sincerely washing the dishes despite her asking him not to, a dozen times.

He called me by my... People rarely ever called her that. Her late aunt used to fondly address her by the nickname since it had seemed more endearing.

"Uhm... Is that piercing on your left ear?"

"Yup. I got it pierced on the first day of high school with my buds." The pan in his hand rattled and clanked. "Mum was soooo mad. She was convinced that I would start doing hard drugs and roaming on the streets instead of studying." 

He chuckled, reminiscing about the time his father had gelled his hair up into a mohawk for half a day in silent protest against Kushina and in full support of his son. Sure enough, she had been horrified, and the young boy had been in splits for a solid ten minutes. She then had to give in to the antics of her son and her husband, who despite being so level-headed, had surprisingly childish ideas. Good times. He did miss living with them dearly.

"Did it pain?" She asked, concernedly.

"Just a tiny bit, I'd say." It was cute how her eyebrows scrunched up lightly while he insinuated it. "Why? Are you planning to get one?"

"N-Not anytime soon, but maybe later"

"I see."

He was done with the dishes. He took off his rubber gloves and patted his hands dry. Walking over to Hinata, he noticed that her hand was still fidgeting. A small smile climbed up the creak of his lips.

 "What's up? What're we thinking?"

Her head shot up, and her sweet, doe-eyed look dug through the raw veins of his heart. Funny how she can do that— so cutely watch me die. He didn't utter a word, and instead, crouched lower, and waited for an answer.
Though she took time, he knew that she would answer. He wasn't the best at waiting, but he was trying. 

"I was thinking that the p-piercings looked good on you."

That made Naruto pause for a hot second. Did she just... Taking care not to give away how shocked he was at the compliment, the blonde young man made sure he didn't fumble. "But I'm sure it'll look even cuter on you."

Hinata could not break away from the gaze directed at her. It was definitely not an ice-cold one, but it made the wisps of time around them freeze in their place.
Unconsciously, his hands extended forward, his long fingers gently touching her ear lobe. She almost let out a feeble sound at the sudden fiery touch, but managed to hold back by pursing her quivering lips. Her breath seemed to choke her more than ever, and blood flew to the place he was caressing with the slow touch of his thumb. The desire glazing his eyes was something the innocent young lady struggled to decipher, but that was the last thing on his mind. "Yup. You'd look even prettier." His subdued voice danced along with the rhythm of her heart, as if to soothe the fresh wound of unrest that he himself had forged without his knowledge.