The Fear Of Losing

"and you never knew?" Beomgyu raises his eyebrows.

him and Yeonjun stop at the crosswalk, and Yeonjun looks at him, shaking his head and shrugging his shoulders.

"I knew he was studying computer science but that's hardly ever the same as hacking. I didn't even know he liked coding."

the traffic light turns green and once again, they continue their slow paced steps. turning around the corner and entering a more narrow street.

"from what I've seen, he's pretty fucking impressive. you don't learn that shit in college, he must've picked it up somewhere else."

Yeonjun stops, turning to the younger with narrowed eyes.

"what do you mean?"

Beomgyu huffs.

"come on, Hyung. that type of skill? Soobin-Hyung dropped out when he was only a junior in college, do you really think they straight up gave them a course in hacking? abso-freaking-lotely not. even if they did, I doubt Soobin would know how to enter the police's network with his nonexistent degree. hence... " he hints. clicking his tongue when Yeonjun grows quiet.

"I'm not saying he's some double personality hacker living two lives. but his story doesn't add up, that's all."

"maybe it's a hobby." Yeonjun starts walking again, as if he's walking off Beomgyu's very true observations. musings, if you will.

Beomgyu likes to speculate.

"and maybe I'll grow a grenade out of my ass." Beomgyu laughs. "maybe is a nice word, Hyung. but you can't use it to hide the fact that something is not right with whatever Soobin had told ya."

"hey!" Yeonjun yells, pointing his finger at his amused worker. "it can be a hobby!" he defends his argument. "you know.. " he trails off. "like, like Taehyun boxes as a hobby. people can have unusual hobbies."

although good point, Beomgyu choses to focus on the least important words in Yeonjun's defense.

"first of all, boxing is very much a common, regular hobby, it's a sport for fuck sake." Beomgyu says. "second of all, Taehyun does not box. does he? I mean, he looks so... scrawny. don't tell him I said that though, he'll end me."

"scrawny?" Yeonjun cracks a smile. "oh, I'm definitely telling him."

Beomgyu smacks Yeonjun arm, sending a warning glare that the elder ignores.

"that hurt! little fucker.. " Yeonjun hisses.

Beomgyu, about to retaliate then return to their main topic. when Yeonjun's cell rings and he puts a hand up in front of Beomgyu's face to stop him from talking.

"what?" he snaps at the caller. Beomgyu looks at Yeonjun with curious eyes as to why he answered with such a cold tone. the answer does not come.

Yeonjun stops in his tracks, brows frowning and lips pursed. he listens intently, looking bothered, angry but most of all, sad.

"where are you headed then?" he says after a few beats of silence. he breaths out, shoulders slouching down slightly as he pulls Beomgyu down the path they have been walking, only this time in the direction back to Yeonjun's apartment.

Yeonjun sighs. "okay, I'll see you tomorrow. please be careful, and call me if any trouble comes up." his tone's softer now, solemn even. the call then ends, and Yeonjun mutters "fuck" under his breath.

"what happened?"

"Kai got jumped at." Yeonjun croaks out as if still in disbelief. "fuck.. he told us earlier today that he had a feeling something would happen but I didn't- I brushed it off, you know?" he grimaces, regret and a hint of guilt in his voice.