Empty Colors

"Hello?" Yeonjun speaks to the phone while signaling to Beomgyu that they're good to go. Grabbing the keys from the counter of the bar, he passes them to Beomgyu that is done with closing the register's safe and they both step out after a successful shift.

"Taehyun...?" Yeonjun says again when the other line is silent. Why did he even call if he's not saying anything?

"Hyung!" Taehyun's voice muffles through the line, urgent and panicky.

Yeonjun stops on the sidewalk, looking at Beomgyu and the one gives an eyebrow rise.

"What's wrong?" Beomgyu asks in a low tone.

Yeonjun sighs, looks like he has to deal with yet, another crisis.

"Did Kai ever give you stuff to keep?! You know? In your apartment, or the bar, something?" Taehyun blabbering is messy and hard to understand, his words sound slurred together and Yeonjun finds it hard To keep up. 

"Huh?" He knits his eyebrows together.

"Listen to me!" The younger yells "is there any s-stuff you keep f-for Kai?!"

Yeonjun gets over the momentary confusion and rubs his fingers in his forehead, a habit he has when he's deep in thought.

"I guess, he has some personal stuff in my place, why?"

"A file! Did-did he even give you a file?"

"A file...?." Yeonjun questions.

"Yes! A file! A brown fil-flie, did he ever give you one?!"

"No... I mean, I don't think so...." Yeonjun answers, as to his memory, there was nothing like that.

"Can't you ask him yourself?" Yeonjun's adds when there's no follow-up questions from Taehyun. "Isn't he with you?"

He can hear Taehyun scoff behind the line.

"N-no, I kicked him out" he says as if it's no big deal, as if the reason is obvious for everyone.

Yeonjun freezes.

"What?" He asks in the calmest voice he can muster. But the line had already been disconnected.

"Taehyun?.." Yeonjun near yells, and distances the phone away only to see that the younger had hung up. "Ya! Taehyun-ah!.. crazy mother-

Fucker..."

"Are you...gonna tell me what he said?" Beomgyu says with half an amused smile.

"I think he, maybe found out about Kai. we need to find where he is..."

"Well.." Beomgyu smacks his lips, and puts his hands in his pants pockets. "Do you have a place in mind?"

Yeonjun looks up at the younger, a flash of clearance in his eyes.

"Yeah, yeah I think I do"

.........

Taehyun hangs up in a rush, not even sure what Yeonjun was in the middle of saying when he returns back to his messy desk.

With a troubled mind, still with his home attire. He drops whatever he's holding and storms out of the apartment.

Taehyun sprints down the street, catching the first bus driving down the street.

"You reach Hybe Law/6th street?" He asks the driver, not waiting for an answer before beeping his bus card. The driver nods tiredly, signaling him to move along so he's not blocking the entrance.

The young paralegal slumps at the very back seat of the bus, trying to make sense of his life, that slowly fall apart before his eyes.

He's trying to stop the train wreck, he's trying to save the job he had sacrificed so much in order to obtain. But even trusting himself is hard, and focusing seems like an impossible task.