Chapter 48

Christmas Eve might just be more exciting than Christmas Day, especially as a parent. Putting cookies and carrots out for Santa and his reindeer and waking up the next morning to see his frosty footprints. I remember carrying on the same Christmas traditions for Hayden and Hudson and then my other nieces and nephews. And now experiencing that with my own two kids, watching them jump with joy and excitement as they run around the house with their elf's on the shelf creating a trap to capture Santa. Okay maybe I might be raising evil geniuses but you only live once.

"Cmon honey let's get started on the cookies, we only have a couple hours before bedtime." I said as Elle came running into the kitchen with her strawberry shortcake apron.

Mason, the kids and I are all wearing matching red Christmas pyjamas and it made me so ridiculously happy knowing that this is our first Christmas family photo. Of course there are others with just Mason and the kids from previous years but this is our first ever one. Mason and Emerson got sent to the grocery store to pick up a few things we needed while Elle and I got started on the cookies. According to Elle and her research, Santa prefers a mixture of chocolate chip and sugar cookies and the reindeer prefer carrot cookies over real carrots. I never even knew carrot cookies existed up until this point but I guess you learn something new everyday.

"Mommy can I crack the eggs?" Elle asked as she crossed her legs on the counter and poured the flower into the large bowl.

"Of course you can honey." I said, cracking an egg to show her before handing her one. She gently hit the egg against the bowl a couple times before cracking it open into the bowl. "Good job baby!" I grinned, my girls a natural. It's so fun teaching the two of them how to bake and cook, it's probably the most adorable thing about them. Well, one of. The list is quite long.

The two of us whisked the ingredients together till the dough was formed before separating the batter for the chocolate chip and carrot cookies. Elle generously volunteered to mix in the chocolate chips while I started on the carrot cookies.

"I love it when the cookies are in different shapes they're more fun to eat, can we do the same for Santa?" She asked, picking out the cookie cutters from the basket for the sugar cookies.

"We can make as many shapes as your heart desires, but let's try keep the mixture in the bowl yeah?" I laughed as she shot me a cheeky grin.

"Mommy do you think we'll have enough cookies? Santa and the reindeer will be so tired flying all over the world to so so many houses." Elle said, eyeing the cookies with a nervous look. My girl has the biggest heart.

"Well, Santa is visiting so many houses and of course everyone else will have cookies and carrots for him and the reindeer so I'm sure he'll be okay." I reassured her as she slowly nodded her head, not quite convinced.

While we rolled the chocolate chip cookies into little balls the sound of the front door opening caught our attention. Elle jumped up in excitement with her flour filled chocolatey hands and climbed down from the counter before running towards Mason and Emerson who had just walked into the kitchen doorway. Their hands filled with more bags than necessary. I have a feeling they bought more than just a few ingredients.

"Momma we need to make a steak for Santa!" Emerson grinned and Elle instantly jumped in agreement.

"That's an amazing idea, that way he won't be starving and he'll have his ploteen." Elle squealed, high fiving Emerson as I mentally slapped my forehead.

"It's protein baby, but I don't see why not. I'm sure he'll have worked up an appetite." Mason encouraged. I guess we're making Santa a three course meal.

"Do you two want to cut out the sugar cookies and put a Christmas movie on with daddy?" I asked them as they nodded and rushed back over to me.

The three of us finished preparing the cookies, and by the three of us I mean the twins who didn't let me touch a single thing because they wanted extra brownie points with Santa. According to them they need to start preparing early to get on the nice list next year so they get more presents. By the time the cookies were ready to be put in the oven, the kids were bored and started eating tiny pieces of cookie dough. Mason came strolling into the kitchen wearing his matching Christmas pyjamas and carried them out of the floury mess while I put the cookies in the oven. With the seven cookie trays looking right at me I have a feeling I'll be here for a while.