Chapter 1

A/N Character Reference: [Some of you guys requested this so here it is...if you don't want to read it, you can move on to the non italicized text]

Hale Sisters:  

Dannie Hale- Is a rising junior.  She is sixteen years old.

Quinn Hale- Oldest Hale sister and will be attending college in the fall.  She is eighteen years old.

Katy Hale- Youngest and most devious Hale.  She has just turned ten and is a rising fifth grader.

Frank and Carrie Hale are the parents.

Parker Brothers:

Seth Parker- Second oldest Parker and is a rising junior.  He is sixteen years old.

Van Parker- Oldest Parker brother and will be attending college in the fall.  He is eighteen years old.

Oliver Parker- Is fifteen years old but will be a junior in the fall because he skipped a grade.  He is also adopted to the family.

Dexter Parker- Youngest brother at ten years old and is a rising fifth grader.

Robert and Chloe Parker are the parents.

So that was the character reference because I have a lot of characters and you guys suggested I do a character reference!  I only have the name and age because I want you guys to learn their personality through the story... so read on and I hope you enjoy!

School was finally out and the Hale sisters all sat on the roof of their house, enjoying the summer breeze. It had been a rough school year that none of them wanted to relive.

Except for maybe ten-year old Katy. "There's a U-Haul!" she shouted pointing at the large orange and white truck. A look of surprise flashed across Danielle's face. They lived on Jasper Isle, a small town barrier island off the shore of North Caroline. Here, newcomers were about as rare as an honest politician.

"Looks like Lucas finally sold the house," eighteen-year old Quinn muttered quietly. She cast a discreet glance over at the middle sister, sixteen-year old Danielle otherwise known as Dannie.

Dannie's mouth had turned downwards. Lucas's name brought unpleasant memories to her mind. One of the reasons she had been glad to get out school was to avoid the pitying glances and the people who constantly asked her if she was okay. It had been over six months and people were still pestering her about the incident. Lucas broke under the constant attention unlike herself, but then again, his situation was quite different from hers. It didn't matter anymore though because he had moved away, "to get a broader view of the world" he had said, but Dannie knew he was just trying to escape the pain. She clutched her heart as that familiar numbing pain appeared but it disappeared as quickly as it had come. Dannie carefully rearranged the features on her face to one of nonchalance.

"Who's moving in Katy?" Quinn asked.

The young girl leaned dangerously close to the edge of the roof to get a better view. "I'm not sure, it looks like a big family though." The van roared to a stop and creaked as its passengers began to unload.

"They're probably only here for the summer," Dannie put in. Their town was quite beautiful and cozy, so it wouldn't be unusual if a family decided to spend the summer here before heading back to the mainland.

"Get down! They're coming out of the van now," Katy hissed at her older sisters. The child had a bad habit of being a peeping tom. Dannie rolled her eyes but complied while Quinn scolded the little girl.