53.

Hello lovelies!
We've got two more longer chapters left after this, then an epilogue!
I'll also get back to a few comments on the last chapter, but just want to say thank you so so much for all the love and support on it.
The one year death anniversary for my dad was July 11th, and it's crazy to know I've written this book for a year now, through the very hardest year of my life.
Thank you all so so much for the love,
I promise I'll pen something more emotional and cheesy at the very end.
Love you guys sm
xoxo

Errol

"You should've told me we'd need tissues

"You should've told me we'd need tissues." Edward spoke from across his smooth, chestnut stained office desk. Oh, how familiar that thing was.

I'd been on the other side of this desk on one too many occasions, but the juxtaposition of this meeting compared to the others, didn't go unnoticed.

"I didn't know we'd need them," I replied simply.

"A man blew his nose into his fucking tie."

My face scrunched up in disgust. "Yeah I thought I saw that."

"A grown man," Ed clarified. "Into a Giorgio Armani tie."

My eyes widened slightly. I would've blown snot into my own hands before even thinking of doing that to a Giorgio Armani anything. "Well I guess there's always dry cleaning?"

"On who's dime?" Ed countered. "Because right now this man is speaking with management demanding we cover it due to our inadequacy with not providing tissues."

I scoffed at Ed. "You knew the context of the play," I reminded him. He was the one who pushed it onto me to begin with. Surely he must've known the performance wasn't going to be all rainbows and butterflies. Sunshine and unicorns.

And realization must've hit him some, because his eyes softened. "I know I just- I didn't expect you to play like... well... like that." Ed paused, sitting up a bit to fix his posture in his large office chair. It was comically too big for his barely 5'10 frame. "You're one of the best pianist to come through this place, but tonight... that was a different Errol on stage." I watched as the pen he usually fidgeted with between his right pointer finger and thumb, remained still in his hand. "Tonight, that man played like his life was on the line, and he suddenly just realized how much that thing is worth." The pen started to move some. "I'd never heard you play like that..." Edward trailed off a moment again, breaking eye contact with me to glance at his computer screen, but it had long since faded to the black screensaver. "Maybe thats why I'll forgive you going almost twenty-five minutes over the time slot."

My own eyes softened some, realizing that much like how this conversation was different than the others we've had, our approach to each other could also maybe change.

"I did change." I told him with such seriousness, it surprised myself. "The person you knew- the person I was, couldn't exist without my mother... but the person I am, has to learn to. She's teaching me that." In this moment, Ed wasn't really the enemy. Rather, he didn't have to be.
"If I'd have shortened the performance..." I continued, but Edward's nod silenced me.