What Lurks In The Dark.

Disclaimer: I don't own Poppy Playtime (Video Game). I don't own the picture (cover). Or the song if I put one in.

(qwertuno and SilentReadersMatter)

(Basically a rewrite of the mentioned encounter between Marcas and a certain caterpillar mascot lol.)

(Hope you enjoy.)

He heard it.

He had heard it...something. He had seen something lurking in the darkness as he ventured into the factory to retrieve his wallet. Internally cursing his forgetfulness at a time like right now, the man shuddered as another bang sounded in the distance, letting him know he wasn't alone.

Really, really not alone.

Marcas Brickley wasn't a man that typically feared the most giant creature. Working in the factory all these years had desensitised him to any type of critter thinking it could simply work its way into such as a pristine company. Always having to 'take care' of the problems his coworkers were too cowardly to face on their own.

Pathetic, but it pays the bills.

The man continued to the game station, using his security pass to access to entrance doors. These tunnels always have him the creeps, the thick yellow colour and the constant train tracks were enough to unnerve even the bravest soul in this damned to hell factory. Truthfully, he didn't think such a person existed. In his line of work, you had to play dirty to earn your promotions.

Leith Pierre may have been an asshole, but damn he was good in the business department.

"Remember, Marcas, never let your guard down. Someone could swoop in and take the position you want. I didn't hire you just to lose you to any unfortunate circumstances."

Really, he owed the man for a lot of things in his life. The missing employees were an ongoing investigation, though maybe they were six feet in the ground already-

Don't think like that, Marcus Brickley. Your mother raised you better than this.

He could almost hear the man's voice scolding him.

"....*Growl*..."

A rumbling sound echoed in the distance, his ears tracking the sound to hall he was currently walking in. Brickley felt himself gulp, a lump in his throat that he found difficult to swallow.

They aren't real. The giant blue one didn't walk last time, there is no monsters in Playtime Co.

Them words brought to you by Lieth Pierre. Marcas thought of him as a bastard.

"...*Growl*...*Growl*..."

The sound husked in his ears, like it was right next to the shaking man. Slowly turning his body in the opposite direction, Brickley nearly...relieved himself from the fear coursing through his veins. Then, something wrapped around his ankle, pulling him towards the sudden shadow of fifty pairs of legs on the ceiling.

"What the hell?!"

Marcas' brain managed to make him get his knife out. Cutting the thin string, it luckily snapped out of the place, himself backing into the shadows to hide his presence. A crooning sound reverberated though the corridor, Marcas barely seeing another string aiming for his leg, dodging it at the last second.

"Don't worry, little brother. We'll find him. We always find unwanted guests."

All he could focus on was the giant, multiple paired leg creature covered in the darkness. Looking like a mix between a dog and a...caterpillar? His colours were obscured by the darkness, so he couldn't see much, apart from the silhouette.