A Different Path.

Disclaimer: I don't own Poppy Playtime (Video Game). I don't own the picture (cover). Or the song if I put one in.

(qwertuno and SilentReadersMatter)

(Based on the idea if the Player actually went back to Mommy instead of running away.)

(Hope you enjoy.)

She opened the gate by a hidden switch. The female mascot glowered down at the human, so sure they would die at the last of the children's hands. The other two had failed, but she had forgiven them. What kind of parent would Mommy be if she inflicted any cruelty on the poor little thing? She chose then to make her grand entrance as the ex-employee walked in, their eyes more guarded and cold than before this encounter. It took her back by a bit. This human had no emotions. They didn't speak. They were essentially a living puppet under Miss Poppy's spell.

The ex-employee switched on the tv to listen to whatever it had to say. Like the others, the same voice repeated the introductions for the game. They mostly did it to annoy Mommy. Even they had a childish streak to them. It just wasn't often that they showed it.

"Welcome to Statues. This advanced obstacle course is designed to test your physical endurance and strength. The rules are simple, the lights will turn off, you can move through the obstacle course at this time. However, when the lights turn on, you can look around, but cannot move. You may move again once the lights turn back off."

The caterpillar mascot they had send a cutout of appeared through a vent. He looked oddly cute. The ex-employee would've taken him for an alley if they didn't know his affiliation with Mommy. Speaking of the devil, she banged on the wall impatiently, waiting for the tape to end.

"The loveable PJ Pugapillar will follow you! If PJ reaches you, your test is over. That's all, good luck!"

She seemed to beam with excitement as she climbed on the glass. The ex-employee still felt no fear as she grinned at them with a sinister look in her eyes. They let lost their emotions years ago. And they hadn't felt anything in years. The caterpillar mascot seemed to sense their sentiment, giving the ex-employee a convent look before Mommy noticed. It was only for a second, but it was enough for the ex-employee to know that someone cared.

"It was always so sad to see the kids go. They called me mommy because I was the closest thing they ever had to one. But they'd come for games, and never come back. They left Mommy to die alone. Mommy didn't deserve that. But you... You worked here, so if anyone deserves to die alone, it's you."

Probably true, but they weren't planning to just yet. The gate opened, and they sprinted in the darkness away from the monster chasing after them. He followed behind, his form quicker than it looked at a first glance, the ex-employee running for their life. They didn't want to be caught and possibly killed.

Just. Keep. Going.

The game was harder than they anticipated. Whoever thought that statues would be fun was a prick. In the ex-employee's book, they were borderline insane. How did having a giant canine caterpillar chasing out in the darkness even count as fun? It was downright creepy. They were frightened, maybe even terrified.

If I fail this, then I'll actually listen to Poppy for once if we reunite. She may babble, but she has a point of how dangerous these toys are.

They had to imagine how the children felt when they had endure this game to get through to the next level. God, it must've been traumatising for them. They recalled a brief recording where the children screamed in PJ's presence, the mascot having lesser control of himself back than then he did whilst chasing the ex-employee. They kept looking back at the caterpillar mascot pursuing them. He kept moving everyone it went light and every time it went dark. They had no choice but to try and outrun him. Pressing a button on the grabpack, they sent it flying and the hand curled around a nearby ring.