18 - Spiraling

Alysa pov:

My fingers hurt from how tightly I was clenching my fists. My body was stiff in tension and my heart was racing from the worrying situation I was currently in. I glanced once at the three Zeros standing guard around me, their mana pulsing powerfully and visible as an aura around their bodies. They were enraged, and that was more frightening than merely being kept an eye on by them.

It was even more uncomfortable because all the Zeros who had been evacuated from Ozryn were gathered only a few feet away from me. They radiated hostility with every glance at me and I knew that I would have been dead now if it wasn't for Sir Rayner's orders to keep me alive.

Just as the man who had come to my room earlier claiming to be my uncle had said, Ozryn had been surrounded by a large army of humans moments away from ambushing us to put an end to the main army of the Zeros. If Sir Rayner, the leader, and several other strongest knights of the Zero army in Ozryn were done away with, their death and defeat would mean reducing the Zeros' strength by more than half. Humans would then once again reign over Zeros, with the latter persecuted for treason and treated even worse than before. Sir Rayner would not allow that though.

There were not enough Zeros or preparation to win against the ambush army, so Sir Rayner had commanded an evacuation of all his people in Ozryn. He planned to retreat for now and rework on his plan to overthrow the humans.

I was the only human who had been brought along, solely because I was their Alpha healer.

"Why is that human b**** with us? She should be killed!" spoke one of the Zeros standing a little away. He was not a knight but a civilian who had been living in Ozryn. He had many scars on his arms, even a big one that ran from his shoulder down the length of his arm till his wrist. He had been through a lot from the looks of it, as had all the others, and he was not happy to be seeing me among his kind.

More hostile comments were directed to me but no action could be taken thanks to the three Zeros protecting me. The comments soon died down and everyone settled to rest for the while before Sir Rayner returned with news.

The mellowed mood was relieving, making me relax a little as well. Sighing, I wrapped my arms around my upright knees and rested my chin on them while I gazed at the ground on which I sat. Tuning out the sounds around me, I settled to drawing random shapes on the sand with my finger. I began to feel sleepy soon, for it was way past the usual time that I slept after a day filled with physical and mental work. Stifling a yawn, I continued my aimless squiggling.

"Commander!"

The voice had me wide awake and straightening to look in the direction of the commotion. Sir Rayner was striding to where we were, a lot of blood staining his clothes. In fact, Sir Nemel, Sir Alden and the two others who had gone to investigate the ambush were all covered in blood too. It roused slight nausea in me as I stood.

 It roused slight nausea in me as I stood