12 - Surprise Visit

Alysa pov:

Yet again, I found myself staring at the bag of gold coins in the drawer of my room. It was what Alden had given me in the name of payment for treating and housing him, Siward and Jukel for three days while they had recuperated from their injuries. Sadly, he had been rather rude about it, saying that he did not want me to show fake modesty about not wanting to receive more than what I should be given for what I had done. Well, at least he had agreed to consider it as down payment for the future healing and hospitality I would provide to the others of his army.

It was not his words that had me staring at the money though. It was the desire to use some of the money to buy painting supplies. More than half a year had passed since I came to this world and did anything remotely close to painting - I had been so busy trying to settle into the new life and set up the café that served as my only source of income for daily bread and butter. Even after business started though, what I earned out of it was just enough for personal and café expenses. It was rare that I could save a few silver coins here and there, though that savings were used up when I had to buy new clothes or firewood or other miscellaneous items. With this bag of silver coins - I was glad that Alden had given me silver coins instead of gold coins because the latter would attract too much attention in this town where the majority of expenditures were done in silvers - I figured that I could finally buy some paints and brushes and paper.

Of course, I was aware that what I would get in Mr. Hugo's shop would not be even close to good quality supplies, and only the simplest water colors perhaps, but something was better than nothing. I had terribly missed painting, and anything would work for me at the moment.

"Yes, I should treat myself to something special for once. Perhaps I could get a gift for the others too," I spoke to myself as I gathered several coins along with some copper coins as change into a small hand purse.

Locking the café, I headed over to Mr. Hugo's shop to buy the items I had in mind. I was greeted as usual and I returned it wholeheartedly.

"You've come at a perfect time, Alysa," said Mr. Hugo. "Fresh eggs and vegetables just came in!"

"That's great, Mr. Hugo. I'd like a dozen eggs, two kilos of tomatoes, abd three bunches of spring onions, please. Ah, and a block of cheese too."

"Of course!" he said cheerily and went ahead with packing all that I had asked for.

"Do you have any paints and brushes?" I asked, looking over his shoulder and at the shelves at the very back where I hoped he had painting material.

"I do," came his answer. "Why do you ask though?"

"I wanted to buy some paints, brushes and paper so I could paint. I used to do it a lot when I was still in the capital but I didn't get any chance to after I moved. I've been saving up some money so I thought I could finally get myself something I really want," I said.

"You painted?" He sounded mildly surprised but also a bit bitter, which was unexpected. "Well, I suppose that's not anything surprising. Most nobles have expensive hobbies. Unfortunately, you won't find any good materials here - all I have is simple, crude paint that children use."

"Oh, um, that's fine. I just want to paint because I've missed it so much."

"Right," he muttered, yet again surprising me with an undertone of amuse and scoffing. "You won't do any great with what I have but you're welcome to try."

Now I was certain he thought that I was either showing off that I was a noble even though I had adjusted and settled into this town well - which was much poorer with lower quality supplies than what I would have had as a noble - or he thought that I had no skills and shouldn't have the interest or time to waste on artwork unless I was really good at it. He didn't know just how good I was at painting though, and his opinion on my wish to paint did not matter. All I needed from him was materials and I would buy it even if he did make fun of me in any way.