15 - Servant

Alysa pov:

My gaze remained locked with Rayner's, my heart beating loud and fast in my ears from the reeling thoughts of what was going on right now. They were soon replaced by memories and frightening assumptions of what would happen to me now. For a moment, the numerous bodies I had witnessed on the day of the Plaza Strike filled my mind, causing me to feel immensely queasy. Then again, it wasn't just the memories that had made me queasy but the fact that I was right now looking at a dead person with whom I had been with mere moments ago along with the man who had killed her and appeared so nonchalant about it.

Slapping both hands over my mouth, I retched. I was sure that I could not hold in the contents of my stomach as I retched again, only to stumble back before sprinting to the nearest alley between the buildings next to me. I remained coughing after I had nothing left in my stomach to put out, and stayed kneeling on the ground with my eyes watering and my throat burning. The queasiness was still intense, as was the shuddering of my body from the many thoughts that went through my mind.

My body tensed and I partially returned to my senses upon hearing approaching footsteps. Rayner's mana was flaring powerfully, frighteningly, and was overwhelming at this proximity. It was a level of power I had never felt before, which was obvious considering the fact that all Zeros had always had their mana sealed.

Immense fear had filled me and I waited for the worst. I couldn't help but recall my last meeting with Mr. Charles, as to how I had been stabbed to death before ending up in this world as a different person.

"Alysa," Rayner spoke, his tone sharp. I sucked in a sharp breath while widening my eyes, for he was barely two feet behind me. In the midst of my apprehension, I noticed that he did not speak me formally, the way he had always spoken to me before now.

Clenching my jaw to stop the slight nervous chattering of my teeth, I turned to look up at him. He appeared even more frightening than before because of the proximity and the way he was looking down at me that had me wishing to curl up into a ball and disappear from his sight.

 He appeared even more frightening than before because of the proximity and the way he was looking down at me that had me wishing to curl up into a ball and disappear from his sight

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"You'll be coming with me to Ozryn. From this moment on, you are going to serve the Zeros as our healer while we fight to overthrow the humans," he said curtly.

"I-I don't understand," I stuttered airily. "I thought you worked for the duchy of-"

"Is that what you really continued to believe after you saw me in Veritas?" he interrupted. I could not bring myself to answer his question, for he was right in guessing that doubts of his life had risen in me after that meeting. Narrowing his eyes slightly, he added, "I am the commander of the Zeros rebel army, Alysa, and we will overthrow the humans and their rule soon. It is only a matter of time before the roles of both are interchanged."

"So, when you were in Veritas, and covered in b-blood," I trailed off.

"I had just dealt with the family of a noble, a lesser known one just like the other smaller families we have been taking care of as we expand our rule and territory," he answered.