13 - Apprehension

Alysa pov:

"Are you sure you're alright coming with me?" Arran asked me for the hundredth time since we had left Amzell. "You hate crowds and there's going to be a very huge crowd during the festival."

"I'll be fine. I have to get over this feeling some time, Arran. Besides, I do want to see the festival - I'm sure it's going to be quite amazing," I said. "And you've booked an inn on the main street, right? If I find it too hard to be in the crowd, I'll just watch the festival from the window."

"I'm still worried," he mumbled, his eyes reflecting it as he gazed at me.

Having made sudden plans to attend the festival in Veritas together with Kian, Arran and Lyle, I had pushed quickly and boarded the carriage that served as a public transport bus of sorts in this world with the two of them. The four of us were the only ones going to Veritas - I was somehow glad for that - so the people on the carriage were unfamiliar. They were all friendly though, asking about us a little and speaking of themselves a little in return. Of course, most were scornful of Kian, Lyla and the other Zeros sitting on the floor of the carriage, and there were some who seemed only disinterested in the matter.

The journey, though a slightly bumpy ride, was pleasant. It took us a little more than half a day to reach Veritas, a town that was easily five times the size of Amzell. The town was already in a festive mood with decorations hanging everywhere and people bustling about cheerily. The sight of that and the people who were entering the town like us to attend the festival had me knowing that the crowd was sure to be immense. I was already feeling that I would not be able to step out of the inn.

The inn Arran took us to belonged to an acquaintance - this wasn't rhe first time Arran had come to Veritas and staying in this inn. The man he spoke to was kind but loud and cheery as he spoke to us. He was similar to us in the matter of treating Zeros well. While he greeted Lyle enthusiastically for seeing him again and flustered Kian in the slightest with his cheerful introduction, I saw him speak with the Zeros in the inn as if they were his friends. The Zeros looked well, and seemed more than content in serving Mr. Philip.

On Mr. Philip's suggestion, we rented the suite room that was more like a one bedroom house. Arran insisted me to use the room for myself while the three men shared the space of the living room. It was kind of them to be so courteous and I couldn't help but agree for obvious reasons.

After freshening up a little, the four of us took a tour around the festive streets that already had more people than what I could handle. Kian helped me feel less uncomfortable though, by guiding me a good few feet away from any large crowd. In fact, we walked through the streets that did not have many people in general. Obvious to say, the streets did not have as many stalls or the stalls were still being set up.

Post a good sightseeing tour with a variety of street food tasted and filling our stomachs, we returned to the inn to turn in for the night.

As I had expected, the crowd that was bustling about the next morning was massive, and one that I wanted to avoid. Just seeing it from the window was overwhelming enough, so stepping out of the inn was out of question. Though Arran, Lyle and Kian had worried for me and fussed over me, I had reassured them that I would be fine by myself and wished for them to go enjoy the festival. Of course, Lyle and Kian would have to stick by Arran's side as his Zeros in order to be spared from any sort of abuse from other people.

Reluctantly, they left after showering and breakfast while I relaxed in the room. I was bored quickly though, for there was nothing to do. Thankful that I had brought along my paints and some paper, I headed down to the main part of the inn so I could get myself something to drink while I spent some time painting. The inn was empty, save for two men who sat at a table having coffee, thanks to the attendance in the main festival. I took a seat at the far end of the inn, away from the main door from where I could hear the chatter of the crowd outside.