4 - Special

I had assumed that I hadn't written enough for a chapter to be published but, guess what? I did! ^^ Lol, here's the much awaited update!

~~~~~~~~~~

Alysa pov:

I woke up several times during the night thanks to vivid dreams I couldn't understand or remember the following morning. I was under-rested and in a slight daze as I got ready for the day. Having got into a one piece as usual and tied my hair up in a ponytail, I exited my room while yawning. Upon stepping into the living room, the first thing I noticed and that made me stall and gaze at it curiously was a beautiful white bird – not just any bird, but one that looked like a phoenix. Its amethyst eyes met mine and it cooed softly, as if curious of me as well.

"How did you get inside?" I mumbled more to myself and stepped to the bird hesitantly. It was quite big, nearly half my size, but, oddly enough, did not give off a dangerous aura.

It did not shy away when I attempted to touch it, reaching towards it tentatively with my hand. So, hesitantly, I inched closer to it and let the back of my fingers touch the soft feathers of its neck. It cooed again and flared the feathers of its neck a bit, as if enjoying my gesture and it gave me more confidence to stroke it. A smile came upon my lips and I let my fingers run down its back as well.

"I guess it's not odd to see a phoenix in this world since it does have some sense of magic to it already," I mused to myself. "But I can't let you stay here."

I stepped to the balcony door and opened it, and motioned to the bird to fly away, hoping it would understand. It didn't though and merely cocked its head sideways while watching me with another soft coo. No amount of persuasion seemed to make the bird leave, not even tempting it with some grains to eat. After several failed attempts to get it to leave, I gave up with a sigh, but left one of the windows in the living room open with some grains on the sill, hoping that the bird would eat it and leave when I left.

After a quick breakfast, I headed downstairs and greeted Arran who had already arrived. As he had said yesterday, he had brought along the Zero who worked for him – a man perhaps in his mid-twenties with long silver hair and soft grey eyes. He had a small, warm smile playing on his lips as he watched me and introduced himself, "Hello, Lady Alysa, I'm Lyle, a Zero. Although, I'm sure you know that since Master Arran told you about me yesterday and you can see the collar and tattoos I possess."

"Oh, um, yes, Arran did tell me he would bring a Zero to help. It's nice to meet you, Mr. Lyle," I responded, glancing once at Arran curiously. This Zero's appearance was not as I had expected it to be – he did not appear abused or unhappy in any way. He seemed healthy and rather content. It only reminded me of the curious reaction Arran had had when we had seen Mr. Kian yesterday.

"Oh, as much as I am thankful for your politeness, you should just call me Lyle, Lady Alysa. It is not good for normal people to give Zeros any titles – they will only be scorned upon and put in a tight spot," came Lyle's smooth answer, his smile widening slightly. He was happy that I had used a title with him when surely no one else would ever eve think of doing so with a Zero. "Shall we get to work then? I heard that there is much to be done."

"That would be great. Thank you for helping out today, Lyle," I said with a nod.

"Not at all. I am glad that I can be of help."

My gaze lingered on him a moment, then shifted to Arran who averted his eyes awkwardly under my curiosity. Something here was odd, very odd, but didn't seem like a matter that could be asked about. Suppressing my curiosity, we then got to work, hoping to have the place mostly set up by the end of the day. As for the food ingredients and the candles and lanterns, they would have to be shopped for tomorrow.