Ego

(A/N: Chapter still based on Chapter 5 of Episode Nagi but with many parts displaced and edited for the sake of the plot.

Also, I'm not the best at describing/writing football matches so please bear with me <3)

Y/N'S POV

Unbelievable.

It was nothing short of an unbelievable sight.

All at once, the entirety of Team Y came sprinting towards the ball, leaving all their positions behind.

"What kind of tactic is this?" Hina muttered from beside me, clearly as perplexed as I was at the team's sudden charge.

"I...don't think it's a tactic." I whispered back, eyes glued to the chaos unfolding.

Reo, himself,  appeared to be dumbfounded by this too as he just stood there-unmoving- for a couple of seconds.

And in those few seconds, a teammate seized the ball from his possession.

"What?" Reo and I shared the same reaction.

"What are you-aren't we on the same team?" Reo yelled at the teammate, who simply gave a cocky grin in return.

"The top scorer survives regardless, so I don't give a rat's ass about the team winning or anything!" the teammate proudly declared before rushing off with the ball.

His words riled up the majority of the players, as most of our team also began to chase after the ball.

Oh yeah.

I'd almost forgotten that little rule.

Blue Lock didn't promote teamwork or anything of the sort. 

It tested our selfishness as strikers.

And this became quite clear the longer the game progressed.

The whole field spiraled into a disorganized mess as almost everyone clashed together to obtain the ball for their own.

Meanwhile, Hina and I simply stared.

What else could we do- I already knew putting myself out there would be foolish move, so why even bother? And I assumed Hina's distaste for boys held her from charging straight into there.

The game continued to carry on this way until the ball somehow slipped out of the mass's grasp and began to head in my direction.

Instantly, my eyes widened. 

This could possibly be my chance.

But my body was a bit too slow to react as a member of Team Y with bangs got to it before me.

"Thanks for the ball." He muttered. "I hate getting myself into vulgar hand-to-hand combat"

Ah, I see..

So all this time, he'd interpreted the field's situation and waited for an opportunity to arise to claim the ball.

This boy...reminded me of Yo.

Now he launched onto the offensive, almost making his way to the goal- before Reo stole the ball.

"Hah! Thanks for the ball!" the purple-haired mimicked his exact words.

But before Reo even got his chance to launch on the offensive, a certain speedster stole the ball.

"Right back at you." Zantetsu scoffed as Reo's eyes broadened.

"God dammit, stupid Zantetsu." Reo yelled.

He was given no opportunity to reclaim the ball as by then, Zantetsu had already dashed for the goal.