27

Please vote if you like my work....

Will really help me a lot :)

*** Sruthi ***

I was anxiously waiting outside the meeting chambers. It has been a while since the king went to meet the queen and so far no news. I heard the door open and stepped closer assuming it was the queen but it was the general who stepped outside shaking his head in disappointment and a hint of frustration.

"What are you doing here Ms. Sruthi?" he asked the moment he saw me.

"Nothing at all," I replied about to leave.

"Do you not want to know what happened inside?" the general asked. I turned back and waited for him to continue.

"An investigation was ordered and I am the incharge," he said with a mischevious smile.

Oh no! This is not good.....

"And you happen to be my prime suspect," he continued.

"I could never smuggle the book," I immediately opossed.

"Well, you were one of the very few people who stepped out of the palace yesterday," the general stated.

"I went to visit my parents," I replied, "You can ask them."

"Because there is no way a parent would lie to protect their child?" the general asked and it is at this moment that I realized all odds are against me. 

The general is framing me! 

My heartbeat kept increasing and I got visibily anxious until...I saw him....smile?

"Calm down Ms. Sruthi," he assured, "There is no way in the world, I would believe it is you."

That is....surprising....

"Thank you, gene-" I was about to say with a smile but then I heard his next statement.

"You are just not intelligent enough."

My smile immediately disappeared.

"I hate you, Mr. Kanda," I said out of anger. 

I thought he would be offended but he just laughed.

"Hate is mutual, Ms. Gathi," he said and walked away.

**** A few minutes before ****

*** Vaishnavi ***

I was anxiously waiting in Adi's chambers, preparing the points I could use to prevent the investigation. Adi hurriedly barged in talking something to the general.

"Good to see you, Vaishu," he said plesantly surprised when he saw me.

"Good to see you, too," I smiled, "I want to talk about...."

"Your book being smuggled, I assume?" Adi interrupted. I nodded.

"Do not worry about it," he assured, "the general is personally leading the investigation and we will catch the criminal soon."

"....Or...we could just not investigate?" I suggested.

"What do you mean?" Adi asked confused.

"In hindsight, everything did work out in our favor," I continued hesitantly, "Now everyone has access to the book without the need for any awkward conversations..and...and it reached the public faster."

"Illegally," Adi added. I could sense the anger that he is trying to control.

This is probably where I should stop but I continued anyway.