2

*** Vaishnavi ***

I slowly woke up the next day with my neck aching and my hands going numb. It took a while for my body to adjust and for my brain to process what happened.

I fell asleep! 

When I am supossed to see the king!

Panic ensued. 

Did I really fall asleep? Did something else happen that I don't remember? Did I...

My thoughts were interrupted when I noticed the tranparent curtain in between the bed, and on the other side sleeping was the most magnificent man I've ever seen in my life.

I placed my hand on the curtain and leaned a little forward to get a closer look. 

Wow! 

He does not look scary at all. Devil is definitely not a title he deserves. He looks beautiful like an angel. Sure, his muscular body is intimidating, but the face radiates something else. Something less sinister and more pure. The little strands of hair that fell on his forehead only added to the innocence and him holding the curtain with his fists like a child made me lightly chuckle. 

I noticed his eyesbrows frown up a little at the sudden disturbance.

Oh no!

I have no intentions of waking him up, so I remained absolutely silent and I could see his eyebrows relaxing. Not knowing what to do, I slowly got out of the bed. The jewellery that was on me all night started to irritate me. I stook them out, one by one, careful to not make any sounds and placed them on the dressing table.

I then tiptoed towards the huge door that seems to be miles away, given how huge the room is and gently opened the door and stepped outside.

"Your highness," one of the maids bowed and greeted me the moment I stepped out startling me.

"Apologies for startling you, your highness," she immediately apologized. I nodded in acknowledgement.

"Is the king awake?" she asked. I shook my head and she whispered something to the lady beside her who then walked to some men standing at a distance. 

Probably the king's helpers waiting for him to get up.

"Is there anything you would wish for us to do, your highness?" the maid asked me.

"Yes, can you please draw a bath for me," I asked.

"Right away, your highness," she said and signalled to the women standing at a distance. In no time, I was lead to a huge room with a bath tub inbetween filled with rose petals and milk. I could see sandalwood, turmeric and someother herbs arranged all around the tub.

A huge flower and chandler for the ceiling and around 10 women waiting to help me.

"You highness, I picked up this dress for you," said a young girl running upto me. She seems to be new as she was quickly shushed by one of the older workers.

"Apologies your highness," said the older worker, "Pallu got a little excited."

"The queen decides what she wants to wear," she told Pallu.

"It's okay, this is good," I said touching the ghagra brought by Pallu, "I shall wear this."

"Excellent choice your highness," said one the maids. "Let us help you...." she said stepping forward to undress me.

"No, please," I said talking a step back, "I would prefer to take a bath in private." 

"As you wish your highness," the ladies bowed and left closing the door behind and I got into the tub.

I love baths. It is one of those times where my brain remains at peace, where I could just enjoy the calmness with no intruding thought.However today seems to be different for I can't stop thinking about the king.

What time did he reach the room? What were his thoughts when he saw me sleeping? Did I make him mad? Will I get into trouble? 

I shook my head. 

The one place, I thought I would have peace.

I quickly cleaned myself up and got dressed in the purple ghagra that Pallu chose for me. As I tried to dry my hair, I heard a knock on the door.

"Come in," I said and Meihu stepped in.

"Apologies for the interruption your highness, may I speak with you in private," she asked. I nodded and the other ladies behind her immediately took the cue and left.

"Vaishu, what happened yesterday?" Meihu asked closing the door. "I am not experienced, but I've heard that the first time a women looses her....."

"Nothing happened," I interrupted and Meihu's eyes widened in surprise.

"Nothing?" she asked again to confirm. I shook my head.

"I fell asleep and when I woke up the next morning, I saw the king sleeping on the other side of the bed," I explained.

"So he did not wake you up?" Meihu asked and I shook my head.

"So you were asleep yesterday when the king visited the chambers, woke up the next morning, and ran outside before he could even get a chance to see you...." Meihu said thinking out loud.

I nodded.

"Vaishu this is not graceful and is disrespectful to the king," she said, "I suggest you go back, wait for him to get up, and then apologize for everything that happened yesterday."

"But I did wait for a very long time," I said, "what happened yesterday wasn't my fault."

"Perhaps the king would say the same thing," said Meihu placing a hand on my cheek, "and that might spark a conversation."

"I don't want to have a conversation," I said.

"He is your husband, Vaishu," Meihu said as if that should answer everything. It did and I as much as I didn't want to, I went back into the room.

Thankfully the king is still sleeping. So I slowly walked towards the chair on the corner of the room hoping to not make any sounds, but I accidentally hit the dressing table knocking my jewelley on the floor. I hurriedly got down to pick them up and when I lifted my head, I could see the king on the other side of the curtain staring at me.

Thank you so much for all the love 💗

You motivated me for an early update :)