Chapter 20

Rahim stumbled towards the wooden door. He rapped his knuckle on the entrance twice. The Zemeni imam, Rakheed, opened it. "As-salamu alaykum, brother," he started, surprised. "What is-"
"Help her," Rahim begged. "Please."
"Rahim, she's-"
"A woman?" the durast's eyes narrowed. "I thought you'd be better than that."
"-been hurt by the volcra," Rakheed emphasized. He then said quickly, "but I can try. Put her on the table."

Rahim did so. Rakheed lifted his hands. Wadi groaned in her unconscious state. Rahim held her hand, even as she felt like she was squeezing the life out of him.

Rahim wanted to let out a bitter laugh. An inferni who'd been injured by the volcra, a durast, and an imam healer, all sat in a hut. Sounds like the start of a joke, he thought.

First, Rakheed replaced the jacket with a fresh, clean bandage. Then he worked. Five minutes passed. He strained, lifted his hands higher and twisted them. Wadi cried out. Rakheed shook his head. "You need otkazat'sya medicine for this," he said. "Let me get some." He left and returned just as quickly and slipped on gloves. "You must let go of her hand," he instructed. Reluctantly, Rahim did so.

"Thank you," he said quietly.
"Of course." Rakheed paused. "How has everything been?" he asked as he started to work on the wounds.
"We're looking for our daughters," Rahim replied.
"You have daughters? Mash'Allah," Rakheed smiled. "I have just started seeing a man down the road."
Rahim's eyebrows shot up. "Thought you didn't want romance."
"I didn't say that. Just that, I was too busy at the time. A lot of time has passed since then - your wedding."

Ah yes. Wadi's and Rahim's wedding. After they'd rushed through the woods, they realised that they had to marry, so Naima could not hinder their relationship again and keep Wadi trapped in her room, away from the world. They were young and maybe a bit reckless, but with Rahim's mother's insistence on accompanying them, they'd felt less worried. The trio encountered Isfa, who had traveled for a commission and on being told what had happened, agreed to witness their wedding. In the middle of the night, Rahim had found an imam near Kribirsk who was willing to officiate the young grisha couple.

"What happened?" Rahim had asked.
"I was cast out for being a healer. But," he added, "I found other Muslims who welcomed me with open arms, and now I am part of another mosque."

There was no time for henna, nor lots of jewelry. But Wadi put on her red anarkli, and Isfa fixed the red orna over her hair and placed a tikli on her forehead. "You look beautiful," Rahim heard Isfa say.
"Thank you," Wadi whispered.

Rakheed led them into a clearing, and Rahim's mother and Isfa had stood to the side whilst Rakheed performed the nikah, reading from Qur'an before both Rahim and Wadi said their vows in front of both witnesses. Then, the ceremony was over, and Rahim and Wadi squeezed each other's hands.
"Insha'Allah, you will have an amazing life together," Rakheed had smiled.

Isfa and Rahim's mother journeyed back up to where Wadi and Rahim had escaped. Rahim's mother had just given a wink when Rahim and Wadi had asked if she would be alright.

They had gotten changed back into their normal clothes, found an inn, and entered their hastily assigned room. The door behind them closed. Rahim had kissed his bride then, and Wadi had kissed deeper, pulling him down onto the bed. They'd become a tangle of limbs, and when morning came, Rahim realised what he'd done, and he'd smiled so wide he felt his heart might burst out of his chest.

Now, the durast sat, his arm throbbing faintly, hoping Wadi would wake. Please, he thought to Allah. Please don't take her. She's been through so much. Grant her this kindness.

He received no answer from above.