Chapter 12

Saida woke to the sound of birdsong. She got up and got ready before stepping out of the tent. Dahlia had already caught a goose, and was roasting it over a fire.

"We can't keep doing this," Saida said.
"I know. We'll go into the cities. We're vulnerable out here." Dahlia got up. The goose was done. The two sisters tucked into the food in silence, then readied their bags, doused their fire and headed off.

Saida pulled out her map. She looked at it, then at the place near them. She checked her compass while Dahlia waited.

"We're going in the right direction. On the edges of Poliznaya. From there, we'll go to Sikursk."
"Alright. Just keep alert," Dahlia said, and Saida nodded.

The heartrender was silent as she glanced around, glad there was no one here to recognise her. She'd gotten used to her kefta over the years, but was glad that she was wearing normal clothes now. Saida adjusted her belt and kept walking.

They stepped into Poliznaya, and Saida's eyes widened.

The settlement was ruined. Some houses had been torn up. A way away, there was a makeshift mass grave.

"We have to go through here?" Dahlia asked quietly.
"...it's the only way," Saida whispered back.

The two sisters continued in silence. What did this? Saida thought as she looked around. There had been a First Army military base here. "We need to go to the base," she said quietly.
"What? Why?"
"Maybe there are survivors. People who can help us."
"'Help'-" Dahlia stared at her. "I think you'll only find mourners! Do you really want to go up to grieving people and say 'hey, I know you lost your loved ones, but can you help us leave'?"
Saida froze. "That's...yeah, okay. We're not doing that."

Countless trees had been torn apart. Saida shuddered to think of what could have caused this.

When they'd stopped to rest for a bit, Dahlia pointed to a building in the distance. "There! That's the base."

After a break, Saida and Dahlia approached their destination. The heartrender gasped.

There was blood on the walls. The smashed windows and open doors showed signs of people fleeing...something. But what?

"What are you doing here?" a voice asked.

Saida spun around. A middle-aged Ravkan woman with brown hair and brown eyes stared at her.
"We were looking for-"
"You need to leave. Now. He may come back."
"Who?" Dahlia asked.
"General Kirigan."

Saida froze. "Kirigan?"
"He and his grisha. I've been trying to clean up, but..." tears came to her eyes. "Many people fled."

Saida flicked her fingers to see if there was anyone hidden here who was simply unconscious. There wasn't. She dropped her hand.

"You shouldn't stay here. It's not safe."
"I have to. I have-"
"We'll help you," Saida said quickly. She looked at Dahlia, who nodded. "Both of us."

The woman protested, but Saida held up a hand. Dahlia glanced at her warily.
"Please. Let us help you."
"...Alright."

For the next few hours, Dahlia and Saida helped clean the walls. As she scrubbed at the blood, Saida wished she was an alkemi, not a heartrender.

"Thank you. You're doing good."
"I-" Saida started, but faltered. The woman, Ivanna, looked at her. She made herself say it. "I'm wondering, what do you use in this cleaning thing? It's...really fast."
Ivanna smiled sadly. "I'm an alkemi."
"Ah," Saida said. "Well, I'm sure these people would appreciate what you've done for them." She paused. "How did you avoid Kirigan?"
"Coffee extract. Rub it onto your wrists and neck, and they won't know you're grisha," Ivanna replied with a small smile. "Using generous amounts, of course. You?"
"I'm-"
"Uh, why are grisha here?" Dahlia asked.

Saida's eyes widened on seeing three Ravkans clad in keftas marching towards the building. She looked at Ivanna, who was now panicked. "Go. Now," Saida said.
Ivanna started, "but I need to clean-"
"Now," Dahlia demanded, and began pushing her to the exit. Saida pushed her map into Ivanna's hands.
"Go to the woods," Saida called. "Go to Sikursk!"

She saw Ivanna turn back and nod, then disappear from sight. Saida flicked her fingers again to check for heartbeats.

"Why are they here?" Dahlia hissed as Saida led her along the corridor and out a window.
"Probably want to raze it to the ground," Saida replied.
"Stupid," Dahlia breathed. Saida silently agreed.

The sisters dove into the woods. Immediately, Saida realised she and Dahlia weren't able to hide, because a tidemaker, inferni and heartrender stood in front of them. The tidemaker gave a cruel smile.

Before Saida could blink, the tidemaker flicked her wrist. A long rope made of water grabbed Dahlia and flung her to the ground. Dahlia groaned. Saida put her hands up, but the blonde heartrender was faster. Saida's eyes widened when she realised she couldn't move.

"Got her," the tidemaker said as Dahlia struggled on the ground.
The inferni watched Saida for a moment, then motioned with her hand. The heartrender kept Dahlia on the ground, but Saida found she could move again.
"Her sister?" the tidemaker asked.
"Leave her," the heartrender answered. "We have the otkazat'sya."

Oh Saints, Saida thought.

"Go," Dahlia pleaded.
The inferni cocked her head to the side. "Yes. Run, Suli girl. Don't come back."

Dahlia was mouthing something. Saida could just make it out. Run. Then wait.

She wouldn't. Saida was tired of running. She would not abandon her sister again. And so, the heartrender flung herself behind a tree farther down the woods, readied her hands, and waited.