Chapter 9

Sea salt sprayed on Wadi's face. She sighed and yet again raised her hand to wipe it.

"No sea legs?" Sturmhond asked as he walked towards her.
"I've never stepped onto a boat before." Wadi pulled again on the rope, keeping it taut. Dressed in a tunic and trousers, she really did feel farther away from the Little Palace's glamour, and she was glad for it.

"Well, you're doing a great job, I can tell you that." Sturmhond glanced at Rahim, who was struggling with tying the ropes. "Your husband...well, at least he's putting in the effort. I'll go help him." With that, Sturmhond jogged off. Wadi shook her head with a smile, looking at her husband before focusing on the rope she was holding once more.

A breeze lifted the sails. Sturmhond's eyes lit up.

"Alright! Tie the ropes!"

Wadi did so, and soon, they were setting off towards the harbour.

They approached. Wadi scanned the view. It was magnificent. The gorgeous, colourful buildings looked even more beautiful as they docked.

"Thank you," Wadi said to Sturmhond quietly.
"Of course. I hope you find who you're looking for."

Wadi took Rahim's hand, then stepped from the stairs onto the docks.

Immediately, she was caught up in the beauty of Novyi Zem. People in bright clothes swept past them. People called out their wares in all languages, showing beautifully decorated products. Keeping a tight hold on Rahim's hand, Wadi moved through the crowd, and soon, they were in the border hall, papers ready.

"We can't go through the whole of Novyi Zem," Rahim said quietly. "But we have one month."
"What about two?" Wadi bargained.
"No. One." He glanced around. "This is the most populated place in Novyi Zem. They can't have gone far."

"Ravkan refugees, this line please," The border officer called. The two parents stepped into the line, making up the rear. Wadi adjusted the scarf wrapped around her bun.

Ahead of them, a Shu girl dressed in a rust and teal hanfu approached a Ravkan woman, concern on her face.
"Why is she crossing?" Rahim asked, a bit confused, then peered closer. "She looks familiar."
Beside him, Wadi shook her head. "No point in wondering." She lowered her voice, and spoke softly. "We have children to find."

They passed the border without any problems. "Now we can find an inn," Wadi said. "Let's go."

The inn they found was nice. Wadi glanced up at the ceiling as she and Rahim looked around the room. Simple, but lovely. Wadi put down her bags, then grabbed her small one and filled it with some money. Rahim was also packing his bag.

"This is the most populated area of the city. Dahlia would go here."
"I know. She's practical that way." Wadi smiled. "Takes after you."
Rahim snorted, slinging his back over his shoulder. "I think I'm a bit more whimsical than you, Wadi."
"Like I said, takes after you." The two walked out of the room. Wadi locked it, then slipped the key into her bag. "Come on."

The parents stepped out onto the streets. "Where do we start?" Rahim asked, looking around.
"The markets," Wadi answered. Then, she saw the fishers near the docks, and nodded to them. "Wait, they might know something."

"I'll go with you," Rahim said immediately.
Wadi paused. "What if I look around the markets, and you ask them?"

Some Ravkan soldiers passed them. Rahim paled. "Never mind," Wadi muttered, and the two approached the fishermen.

"Good morning." One of the men squinted up at the parents, shielding his eyes from the sun. "What is it?"
"Have you seen two Suli girls come to these docks?"
"Suli?" He shook his head. "Some, but...what do they look like?"

Rahim described their daughters' appearances.
"I saw two," another fisherman said, and Rahim looked at him. "Yesterday," he added.
"They both had straight hair!" The first fisherman exclaimed. "And they were lighter than the girls they're looking for."
"Oh."
"Nothing?" Wadi asked, trying not to sound desperate.
"No. I'm sorry." He bowed his head.
"Thank you," Rahim said in Zemeni, then moved away from them. "Markets?"
"Markets," Wadi replied, and they moved.

The markets were a whirlwind of sound and colour. Wadi's heart ached. It felt like she was almost at home. Rahim glanced at her, and he squeezed her hand.

A Ravkan man in black and red walked briskly past them. Wadi's head snapped around to stare at him.
"Wadi, what-" Rahim started, but Wadi didn't listen. She peered closer and scrutinized his outfit. Not a kefta, she realised with relief and, strangely, disappointment.
"What's wrong?" Rahim asked.
"Um...nothing." Wadi said with a shake of her head. Holding Rahim's hand, she weaved her way through the stalls.
"Please, talk to me," Rahim said quietly.
Wadi sighed. "I-"
"Travelers!" A voice said. Wadi turned to the Zemeni seller and saw he was wearing a tupi.
"As-salamu alaykum," Rahim greeted.
"Wa alaikum assalaam," the man responded.
"You've come back from Dhuhr?" Wadi remarked.
"Yes." He nodded to a building behind the one he was selling at. "The mosque is over there."
He could speak of his religion so freely. A stark contrast to Ravka, then.

The man gestured to the wares he'd spread out on the cloth. "Come, my brother and sister. Eid ul-Adha will commence soon."
Wadi's eyes widened. "When?"
The man nodded to the small calendar on the cloth. Wadi peered at it. It was near Hringkälla. She tried to dispel the discomfort she felt, and looked at the products the man was selling. Rahim took interest in a lantern. "This is for Eid?"
"Yes. It is 30 neredi."
30...! Well. It is beautiful, Wadi admitted, admiring the intricate designs.
"God willing, we will have a peaceful Eid, Insha Allah."
"We'll get it," Rahim decided.

Wadi blinked. "Wait, why?"
Rahim winked at her. There was obviously an underlying reason for his purchase, but Wadi couldn't help the blush that crept up on her cheeks.
Rahim paid. "Thank you."
"Allah Hafez," Wadi added, and the man bowed his head, no doubt grateful to them for purchasing.

"Can you tell me why?"
Rahim knew Wadi was blushing, and tried not to look smug. "We can use it on our search, when it gets dark."
Wadi's blush dissipated. "Dark?"
"Yes. A night search might do us good."
"Or it might be useless!" Wadi whispered, then looked around at the markets.

"Maybe. But there aren't as many people at night." Rahim paused. "And maybe...I want to be brave, for once."
"You are," Wadi said quietly.
Rahim gave her a sad smile. "I wish I could believe that."

Wadi and Rahim spent hours searching for their daughters. They asked sellers, glanced into alleys, and even poked their heads into pubs. No such luck. When they returned to the inn that evening after a cheap dinner, Wadi was exhausted. She lay down on the bed next to Rahim.

"Come here," he said quietly, and tugged her closer. He kissed her cheek.
"You are brave," Wadi said quietly, looking up at her husband. She brushed strands of hair from his face. "You just show it differently."
Rahim sighed softly. Wadi moved closer to him. Rahim pressed his lips to her neck, then her collarbone. Wadi smiled and gently carded her hands through his hair, watching lift his head from her neck and gaze at her. Rahim paused.

"What nightmares did you have, back on the Volkyvolny?"

Moment ruined. Wadi pressed her lips together.

"My parents," was all she could say.

"I'm sorry," Rahim said quietly.
"Don't be." Wadi kissed him then, her hand intertwining with his. Rahim smiled against her lips. Wadi kissed him again before pulling away. She sighed softly, then closed her eyes. They could spend tomorrow night searching. For now, she just hoped that tonight would be free of nightmares.