Chapter 6

Rahim woke up to the sun shining onto the ship. He blinked, wiped the crust that had formed near his eyes, and got ready for the day.

The ship was steady. Rahim sighed as he ate his breakfast, looking around. Everyone was chatting, and Rahim smiled to himself. Wadi suddenly appeared from the cabins, her dark brown eyes landing on him immediately as she made her way over to him. She kissed his cheek and sat down.

"Well well! New guests?" a voice asked.

Rahim shielded the sun with his hand as he looked up at the blonde Ravkan man in front of him. "I presume you must be the captain. I'm Rahim, and this is my wife Wadi," he said, getting up and shaking his hand.

"Captain Sturmhond." The man smiled and shook Wadi's hand, too, which Rahim appreciated. Sturmhond grinned, "welcome to the Volkyvolny! Means 'Storm Of The Sea' in Ravkan."
Wadi looked at Sturmhond, and Rahim had to try not to laugh. His wife was severely unimpressed by that fact, and the captain looked awkward as he cleared his throat, thrown off for a moment before composing himself.
"Thank you for letting us stay here," Rahim said, to break the awkward silence.
"Of course, of course. Actually, um," Sturmhond added, "Tamar and Tolya mentioned you two were looking for someone. Did you find them here?"

Wadi and Rahim glanced at each other, then looked back at Sturmhond. "Not in Ketterdam, no."
"That's good," the captain said. He became suddenly grave, a stark contrast to what he had been only a moment ago. "Ketterdam is no place for anyone to be." The Ravkan man leaned on the rail. He watched them carefully, and for a moment, Rahim feared this stranger knew who he and Wadi were looking for. Then, Sturmhond relaxed. "We're going to Novyi Zem," he added, "if you care to join us."
"Novyi-" Rahim facepalmed, then turned to Wadi. "Of course. How did we not think of that?"
"Because we thought they'd ran to Fjerda out of all places." Wadi sighed. Rahim frowned and squeezed her hand. What nightmares had she had?

"...So I take it you are temporarily part of our crew?" Sturmhond asked.
Rahim nodded. Wadi didn't look at the captain. "Yes," the durast said.

The captain grinned, then turned to everyone. "Right, listen up!" he called. The rest of the crew turned to him. "We have new members! They're temporary!" He added when everyone cheered. "Temporary. Meet Wadi and Rahim..." he glanced at them, expectant.
"What?"
"Your...Your surnames?" he asked, gesturing with his hand.

Rahim paused for a moment. Before he could say it, Wadi bit out, "Rahman."
"RAHMAN! Wadi and Rahim Rahman!" Sturmhond smiled as he walked off. Rahim let go of Wadi's hand.

"Do we tell them?" Wadi asked.
"I think they already know. Our surname gave it away," Rahim muttered as they leaned on the rail.
"I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the fact that we're-"
"So! Welcome to our crew!" Tamar cut in, throwing her arms around the parents' shoulders. "How do you like the ship?"
"Very nice, thank you," Wadi smiled. "Hopefully it'll stay steady."
"Oh it will, it will. The Squallers will help with that." The heartrender leaned on the rail next to them. "Who are you searching for?"

Wadi and Rahim paused. Rahim could see the tension in Wadi's figure, but Tamar was Shu. She wouldn't tell Sturmhond.

"...Our daughters," Wadi said at last.
"Ah. Makes sense. You have that parent look about you."
"'Parent look'?" Rahim asked.
"Yeah, you two look parent-y. Don't seem like young lovers." She grinned at them. "Don't worry, your secret's safe with me."
"Thank you," Rahim replied earnestly.
"No problem." Tamar slapped his back, which made Rahim stumble forward a bit. Wadi pursed her lips, trying not to laugh. "I'll see you, yeah?"
"Sure," Rahim wheezed. When Tamar had walked off, he glared at Wadi, who snickered.
"You're so muscular compared to Tamar," she joked.
"Oh please. I'm stronger than the Volkyvolny," Rahim replied. Wadi laughed and shook her head. In these moments, Rahim felt like he could take on anything: a storm. A fight. Wadi's mother. He'd done it before, risked being turned away just so he could hear Wadi laugh.

Rahim rang the bell. There were confused voices from inside. Then, someone made their way to the door. From the sound of her footsteps, Rahim knew it could only be Wadi's mother. He internally cringed. She didn't like him, but he wasn't here to get into her good graces.

Naima opened the door. "Oh. It's you."
"Yes," the fourteen-year-old replied. "Your Nanabhai invited me."

Naima turned to glare at the elderly man, who just shrugged and smiled. "Eid is about family. He has known us for long enough, has he not?"

Naima sighed and opened the door fully. Rahim's eyes lit up. "You know the drill. Don't mess up anything, and keep your shoes off the carpet."

The durast nodded, already taking off his shoes. "Yes Naima."

Wadi grinned at him and waved. Rahim's heart flip flopped, and he waved back before rushing to the dining table.
"No running," Naima instructed. Ever since she'd found out Rahim was also grisha, she'd turned sharp in his presence.

Sheepish, Rahim sat at the dinner table. When Naima wasn't looking, Wadi gave his hand a quick squeeze, then passed him food. Her beautiful cousin, Isfa, beamed at him. "Eid Mubarak."
"Eid Mubarak," Rahim replied, intentionally avoiding Naima's watchful look as he took food from the bowls and placed them on his plate.

"Thank you for this, Naima," Rahim said halfway through the meal.
"Don't thank me." She nodded to her daughter. "Thank Wadi. Used her...thing to heat up the stove."
Rahim looked at Wadi, surprised. He'd assumed her mother wouldn't let her use her power. "Really?"
"Yup! Cheaper." The inferni grinned at him, and his heart pounded faster on seeing her smile. Then, he returned it with a smile of his own.
"Well," Isfa declared, "I'm just glad the stove works better."

Rahim and Wadi looked at each other and giggled together. The durast didn't see Naima smile to herself on hearing the children's giggles as she helped herself to another serving.

For once, it was peaceful, and Rahim was glad for it. He just hoped this truce between him and Naima would continue.

Rahim sighed softly. What simpler times those had been. He reached for Wadi's hand, and she took it. The two parents looked out at the sea in peaceful quiet.