Chapter 1

Áidná threw a cloak around her daughter's shoulders, shoving a Fjerdan outfit into her hands. "Get to the shore. There is a cargo ship coming down the harbor. You must get on that boat. Do you understand me?" 

"But I'm not grish-" the eighteen-year-old started. Áidná gave her a severe look. 

"They don't care. You're close enough. Take the route through the forest, away from the market," she added. "Do not make any noise. And do not be seen."  

The pounding footsteps got closer. The shouting became louder. "Go, Luviissá! Now!" 

Before Luviissá could take a step forward, armed men burst in. Áidná let out a shriek of terror, grabbing a plate and hurling it at the attackers.

"Drüsje!" One of the men said, pointing at the eighteen-year-old. Luviissá's eyes widened. She turned and stumbled forward, managing not to tear her gákti in the process. 

"LET ME GO!" Áidná screamed as the drüskelle wrestled her hands behind her back. That was the last thing Luviissá heard before she plunged into the woods. 

The amplifier let herself cry as she stumbled through the forest. The snowy trees shook the snow off as she pushed through them. This route once carried happiness and fond memories. Now, it only reminded her of this moment: fury at being separated from her mother, with her blonde locks and blue eyes. Whilst Luviissá's tawny brown skin, dark brown eyes and hair did not match Áidná's, this only proved to her mother that the Hedjut were the divine people of the North. However, now that Áidná had been taken, Luviissá wasn't sure she believed that at the moment. 

Once she'd changed into the Fjerdan outfit, the eighteen-year-old burst out from the trees. She looked around the harbor. A ship was coming into view. That's the one! Luviissá thought. She wanted to rush to the docks, but restrained herself. A breeze swept through the harbor. Even though Luviissá was frantic on the inside, she made herself look calm on the outside. Áidná had taught her that when she was little. 

Making her way towards the ship was easy. The hard part was getting on. 

Luviissá looked around. As she adjusted her cap, she was figuring out how to sneak onto the ship when someone came to stand beside her. 

"Are you heading to Ravka?" a voice asked in accented Fjerdan. 

Luviissá turned to the stranger and nodded.  

"I'm the captain of this ship." The Ravkan blew out a breath of cigarette smoke, then threw the cigarette into the snow and stomped on it. Luviissá winced. 

"I know we say it's a cargo ship, but there's less in Fjerda than in Ravka. Travelers come and go all the time," the captain continued. "Come." 

Surprised, Luviissá made her way onto the cargo ship. "She's with me," the captain clarified when a member of the crew questioned him. Some glanced at her, but Luviissá didn't have time for that right now. As she sat on a seat, she looked out at the harbor, hoping that the drüskelle wouldn't check the ship and haul her off the boat. 

After ten minutes, Luviissá was still antsy. But that anxiety was soon eased when the captain yelled, "DESTINATION: RAVKA!" 

Others cheered. Luviissá stayed silent. Slowly, the cargo ship began to pull away.

In time, Luviissá would change her name to Czarina. She would find the Little Palace and work under General Kirigan. 

But for now, the amplifier pulled her cloak over her shoulders and turned her back to the harbor.