Rei Mekaru

Every time I come here, I play the role of their 'ideal', right? Like some shared fantasy. Does Rei seriously have these kinds of thoughts in the first place? She looks so strict and perfect from the outside. In the end, we're all human.

"Yuki Maeda!"

"Huh?"

Before I could react, Rei gave me a slap that made Yuki see stars. Fortunately, he could stand, but the blow had left him dizzy.

"I hope you have a perfect explanation for citing me in this vulgar place. I infinitely prefer our usual meeting place in the public library. The last time I let you choose a place, insolent."

"I'm sorry..." Yuki replied while still recovering from the slap. Little joke, the professor's strength in her arm, felt that she almost broke his jaw with that slap.

"Anyway, the important thing is that I finally met you after so many distractions. Check your grades after last week's exams. You continue with the same trends of elementary school, and despite my efforts with you, nothing has changed. You are average."

"That's not a good thing? The Hope's Peak prioritizes talent before grades, and the important thing is to pass before having the highest grade, right?"

Rei put her fingers to her nose, visibly offended. "I'm going to ignore what you just said. In a highly competitive country where the grade can mean having the job of your dreams or living as a simple salaryman. Besides, you ignore the pink elephant in the room."

"The pink elephant? Here they only have the teddy bears that you like so much."

"It's a metaphor, idiot." Rei replied, a little flushed by the stuffed animals' comment. "Even if you use your ridiculous rating argument, I want to see you work a talent like luck in front of the academy committee. It's just impossible unless, of course, you get the lottery ticket every three months."

Rei had left it without argument. She was right. At the end of the day, Yuki entered the academy by a simple lottery. He is just an ordinary boy surrounded by many ultimates.

Rei sighed tiredly. "Look, I'm not looking to lower your morale any more than you already have. I just want the only person I can trust not to leave my side. I already lost my family once. I won't let it happen again."

"Rei. What are you talking about?"

"The orphanage, when our parents left us. They said they would come back, but they never did. That's where we met and never separated."

I understand, so Rei and I come from an orphanage for abandonment. It must have been hard for her.

"Do you consider me part of your family?"

"You already did more for me than my so-called mother and father."

"Even so, I don't think you should refer to them in such a cold way."

Rei looked at him with a grimace of irritation, losing patience. "They abandoned me, Yuki. Your parents did the same to you, don't you feel the same as me? Frustration? Wrath? Disappointment?"

Yuki looked at the ground thoughtfully. "It would be strange to tell you that I don't feel anything about those things, but at the same time, I wonder what do I gain from those emotions? Nothing, they just tie me to the past in a negative way."

"Then, for you would forgive them?"

"Yes, I know forgiveness is tough to give, and I don't expect you to follow in my footsteps, Rei."

She was astonished at the sight of Yuki and then sighed tiredly. "You are useless and an idiot. You must be clear. Someone like you wouldn't last anything in reality."

"That's what I've got you for, Rei."

Yuki extended her hand as a formal courtesy as he thought she liked it. Took some time, but Rei agreed to shake his hand, although suddenly, the gesture changed from a formal squeeze to bringing her fingers together in a fist. This confused Yuki, who looked up, to look at the girl, who smiled slightly.

"Yes, I will care for that when we have our family. I won't fail them like my parents did with me and yours with you."

"Huh? Is that what you want, Rei? I'm sure you can get yourself someone better than an average like me."

"With you, I feel emotional that I don't feel with anyone else. Happiness and fear at the same time. That's why I know you are the right person with whom I want to start a family, raise them, and lead them for a lifetime. Yuki, I want you to teach them what I can't."

"Rei..."

"Yuki, you possess qualities that no one can teach. Luck aside, you are the definition of hope. You are my hope."

"I never thought you would see me that way, but if I can support your dream, I agree to start a family with you."

"You didn't even hesitate for a second."

Rei reached out to kiss Yuki on the forehead, which surprised him. "You should also know that I am a woman who always wants more, so you must prepare."

Rei pushed Yulki to the bed as soon as she finished that sentence, leaving him helpless. He hoped the family doesn't start a family to grow today at such young age. Anyway, he had to pay close attention to Professor Rei's questions.