Chapter 15 - One Year Later

Katie's P.O.V

So, at what point does he go and I stay, you're asking?
Well... Now.

Sid had been working hard the last couple of months, working his ass off, making demos, sending them out, long distance phone calls, whatever gigs he could get.
He wasn't a DJ you hire for a kids party. He's the real fucking deal.
I walked into his studio, rented out monthly, for a discounted price, from a friend... Lets call this friend... Corey Taylor. Stone Sour got their break, in the making of their first record, while Sid's been renting out the room next door for all his shit.
It worked well for them.

Sid was sat at his desk, talking to a couple of guys. One was stood up, to his right, leaning back on the panel, while the second was sat on the dingy little hard couch, just behind him.
Sid was sat back in his chair, laughing with the guys, as I walked in.
The one standing noticed me, which Sid noticed, looking back, smiling bright.
"Katie!" He grinned, getting up from his chair, coming over to me.
"I brought pizza." I smiled, holding up the box.
"Damn, I love you!" Sid joked, taking the box, before kissing and hugging me in greeting. "Babe, this is Sonny Baxter." He motioned to the one standing. Tall, slim, suit up like Sonny Crockett, which was not a look in Iowa. "And Archie Davis!" He motioned to the one sitting down. Average, black trousers, white dress shirt, with black shoes. Both guys were brunettes, hair trimmed neatly, looking like the real deal.
"They wanna sign me to the label." Sid smiled at me.
"O-O-Oh... Wow." I didn't see that coming.

"We were just talking about getting DJ Starscream in the studio, doing a few shows on the Strip-"
"LA?" I was having Vietnam flash backs.
"Yeah... One minute." Sid smiled to the guys, before guiding me out the room.
He placed the pizza box on a small table, out in the hall, before turning to me. "I know LA was pretty bad, but I've been following these guys for years! They've worked with the best of the best, like, the list even goes into the bands you listen to! They're the real deal. I know you're doubting on this, but this is really my shot! I do gigs in LA, see what kind of following I get, and depending on the outcome, that will determine the length of my contract with the guys! Either way, I record my shit, and get it out there!" Sid was so excited.
"Well... Can't you do that here, or does it have to be LA?" I frowned.
"It has to be LA... Baby, we're gonna be on the other end, and the guys are hooking us up with a place to stay, that has the LA skyline!" His eyes lit up at the thought.
"So, we're going?" I looked at him.
"Well-"
"You already said 'yes'?" I was reading through the lines. "When are we meant to be leaving?"
"Yeah... Tomorrow." He tried smiling to ease the pain.
"I'm not going." I turned, walking away from him.
"BABY! Come on!" He called after me.

Realising I wasn't turning around, he came after me, as I reached the doors to the reception.
"I have to go!" He frowned at me, taking my hand in his.
"I don't understand why you can't do it from here? Stone Sour are doing it! Shawn's got bands coming here, to make videos!"
"Yeah, and where's Stone Sour's contract? They're, like, volunteering!" He was about to go on, but I stopped him.
"No, they're not! Have you not been listening to what Corey and Jim have been on about for the last few months? They have to record the record, and the label will push it out, putting them on tour, opening for some mega band, getting them the exposure they deserve! It's all Corey goes on about. He's working hard for his dreams, you just seem to run to the first guy who calls!" I frowned, before I stormed out.

"Hey-" Crissy smiled at me, as she just climbed out her car, having come to hang with Stone Sour.
"Can you take me home?" I begged her, fuming.
"Absolutely!" She never asked, always preferring to get one out of the situation, before anything escalates further.
She drove me home, in silence, where I climbed out before she even put her car into park.
I let myself in, going straight up to the apartment, where I walked into our room and crawled into bed, hiding under the duvet.
"Wanna talk?" Crissy asked, having come after me.
"Sid's going to LA! He didn't fucking say shit to me!" I frowned. "I don't want to go to LA! I hate it there! I wanna stay here, with my mum! My friends! Where I have a job!" I threw the duvet off me, sitting up, yelling.
"Come on! Sid loves you, he wouldn't do that. He knows how you feel! There's opportunities for him here!" Crissy sat at the foot of the bed, looking at me.
"Not in his eyes!" I frowned. "He's already said 'yes'... He leaves tomorrow, expecting me to go with him... He just wants to leave Iowa... He hates it here."
"And you love it here... If it wasn't music, it would be something else, driving him out... The weather, the people, the scenery... Katie, I really hate to say this to you, but it sounds like Sid is already gone. The only thing keeping him here is you, and his eagerness to get out is taking over that. That's why he's not said shit to you." Crissy frowned.
"Shut up!" I covered my ears.
"Baby!" My best friend grabbed my hand, moving them from my ears.
"I'm not listening! LA-LA-LA-LA-La!" I shook my head, eyes closed tight.
"He would of left years ago, if he never of met you!" Crissy talked over me.

I sobbed, crying, hating myself. "I'm holding him back?!" I looked at her.
"I don't know! I don't know Sid on the level you do! I can't tell you what is going through his mind, how he feels, what he's getting into." Crissy pulled me close, hugging me tight. "You have two different visions of the future... You see yourself here, and he's anywhere else... If not LA, he'll go to New York, or even England!" She shrugged.
"My mind's all boggled..." I hid in her neck, hugging her tight.
"I know, baby... You understand what I'm saying though, right?"
I nodded. "He wants out of Iowa..."
Crissy kissed my head, rubbing circles on my back. "You can go with him, but it's short notice, you're gonna hate it, he's gonna be super busy, you'll be on your own most of the time-"
"If he did that here, I'd have you, and Mel, and Kelsey, and mum, and Mick, Paul, Joey! I won't be like a fucking housewife, waiting on him to come home, so I can do stuff!" I looked up at the woman who's become the closest thing to a sister to me over the years.
"Sid already said 'yes', without you... He's already gone..." She gave it to me straight.