Chapter 11 - Sour

Katie's P.O.V

"Good news!" Corey declared, letting himself into Jim's house, where Sid, Crissy, Mel and I were hanging out with the tall dude.
"My band is going places and I need a guitarist!" He grinned at Jim.
"No." Jim stared at him deadpan, standing in the kitchen doorway.
I was sat on the couch, with Sid to my right, arm over my shoulders, with Mel sat on his right, and Crissy sat cross legged on the floor, ready to hit play on the DVD player.
"Why not?!" Corey frowned.
"I have the shop." Jim spoke plainly, taking a seat in the armchair.
"Get Mick to take care of it! He's into all that freaky shit." Corey shrugged, begging for him friend. "We talked about this shit as kids!"
"I grew up in Vegas!" Jim pointed out.
"Spiritually!" Corey motioned from his head to Jim's.
"You and the fucking ghosts!" Jim laughed at him.
"JIM-BOB! Come on! Stone Sour!" Corey fell into his lap, getting comfortable.
"Fucking hell..." Jim whispered under his breath, not really having a say in the matter.

"When you leaving us, Sid?" Corey changed the subject, having his full line up.
"Tomorrow." Sid frowned.
"Why you sad? Your childhood dreams are literally coming true!" Corey pointed out.
"Yeah, well maybe the dream's changed, Taylor." Sid scoffed, excusing himself from the room.
"Katie's not going with him." Crissy explained the outburst, hearing the back door open and shut.
"We need all the staff. Halloween is right around the corner!" Jim pointed out.
"Damn..." Corey frowned, getting off Jim, sitting up on the armrest of the mans armchair.
"You guys haven't been apart before... It's not so bad, but it's not the happiest time." Corey sympathised with me.
"I know..." I frowned, Mel scootching over, giving me a side hug.

"Two hours time difference..." Crissy noted. "You guys will be fine. Think of all the sex you'll be having, when he comes back."
We all shared a light laugh.
"I know, it's just since we've met, we've never spent a day apart." I frowned.
"Baby..." Crissy reached over, patting my leg in comfort.
"Do you wanna go to LA?" Jim asked me.
"I'm needed-"
"Not what I'm asking." He held his hand up, pausing me. "Do you want to go to LA?" He asked more clearly.
"Maybe to visit, but I can't see myself living anywhere except Iowa." I frowned.
"When you need me, Cor?" Jim looked to the ghost hunting singer.
"If I come help out in the store, and we work after hours, that any good?" Corey smiled.
"Fine with me... Go with him. It's only one week." Jim smiled at me.
"You sure? You're gonna be swamped!" I bit my lip.
"I'm sure... Sid needs you there with him. I can get help from others." He nodded up to Corey.

I got up and hugged the two, smiling. "Thanks, guys!"
"Hey, just bring us back something, yeah?" Corey smiled.
"Hell yeah!" I smiled.
"You're only getting paid for the hours you work, though!" Jim warned Corey.
"'Ight with me!" The singer smiled, as I headed for the back door.

I walked out, seeing Sid leaning back on the wall, smoking a cigarette, lost in thought.
He looked over at me, by the sound of the door, and toss his smoke aside.
"You alright, baby?" He pushed off the wall, walking up to me.
"Yeah." I hugged his neck. "Jim's pulling all kinds of strings, so I can now go to LA with you..." I smiled.
He looked down at me, searching for a sign I was playing with him. "You serious?"
I nodded, smiling. "He's got Corey covering for me."
"Fuck!" Sid grinned, picking me up, spinning me around.
I laughed, holding onto him, kissing him, as he set me back on my feet.
"I love you so much!" He grinned.
"I love you!" I hugged his neck.
"Baby, I promise, we're gonna have the best time! I'm gonna be working, but it's gonna be so great! I swear!" He held my waist, gushing about LA.
I smiled, letting him jabber, a small part of me really not wanting to go.

. . .

"What's wrong with LA?" My mum asked, making dinner for us both.
We're leaving tomorrow, so I decided to get dinner with my mum, before we skip town.
"Well, one... and the biggie, you're not gonna be there." I started.
"Katie..." Mum smiled at me.
"Two, I know this is stereotyping, but everyone there is only after money. They don't care who they hurt, in order to make it." I sat up on the counter, watching as mum mixed a sauce in with the veg. "And three, finally, I don't belong there! I don't have double D's, and I'm not dying my hair blonde, or caking up my face with makeup, wearing bikinis, and showing off the ass I barely have." It wasn't LA. It was the people.
"Honey, it could be great!" Mum smiled at me. "Just don't accept any drugs, and don't drink too much. Oh, if anyone plans to go out, make sure Sid's always there with you." She warned.
"I know, mum..." I frowned, picking at my nails. "This DJ stuff is all he knows... It's who he is... I don't know if I fit in with that. It's not my kinda scene..."
"It's not really for Corey, either, but him and Sid are like brothers, from the way they talk about, and too, each other." Mum pointed out, moving to grab some dishes out the cupboard.
"True... Just, why can't Sid just do it all from here?" I sighed.
"LA has more opportunities." Mum pointed out.
"I know..." I sighed, tipping my head back "Just-"

I was stopped by the front door opening and Sid coming in.
"I got wine!" He declared, holding up two bottles of mums favourite Rosé.
"Oh, he's a keeper!" Mum laughed, taking the bottles from him, as he came into the kitchen.
"Don't I know it." I smiled at Sid, smiling back at me.
"What did I miss?" He asked, grabbing some glasses out the cabinet to crack open a bottle.
"Katie was just asking what is in LA. The Troubadour, The Roxy, The Rainbow Bar & Grill." Mum lied her as off. My saviour and queen!
"Oh, hell yeah! You've also got The Viper Room, Paramount Studios, Westlake, MIX, Henson Studios!" Sid named one venue and almost all recording studios.
I laughed. "Yeah, true... So, we won't run out of things to do." I smiled at him.
"Not for years, at least." I really hope he was joking.
Holding the smile, mum mentioned the fair on the pier.
"I wanna go on the big wheel!" I beamed, clapping my hands like a child.
"If we have time." Sid agreed.

We ate and stayed with mum for another hour, talking over wine, before we headed back home.
Our bags were already packed, waiting in the living room for us, all that was left was to get up on time and go...