Back On The Scene

It's been two years since I was discharged from the hospital. It's also been two years since the band broke up. We have all recovered since then. It's like they never ever got famous. They've been playing small gigs here and there simply for the fun of it, but they haven't been on tour or talking to their manager. They've even been writing new songs. They'll never stop doing that. Here we are though, two years later on that old tour bus again. They had gotten back together about six months back but tonight will be their first show again. They've all been excited about it. When it was released to the media, of course there were rumors but they were able to look past them because of all the positivity they had received from fans and even from people who aren't fans. Resilient. They said. That's what we are. But I don't think so. We are just normal people with problems many other people have. No matter what, you've just gotta keep going.

Alex and I have been together for two years now as well. He and I have never been better. We are better than we were before this happened too. I've been helping him write songs as well and in return he's given me a place in some of them. I think Alex is the one I've been looking for really. As for Vic, he and I are just friends now. We aren't on tour with them this time though. That's just for the best. This time, we aren't on tour with anyone. It's just us.

Today is actually Alex and I's anniversary for two years. We are spending it at a show and I wouldn't want it any other way. He's letting me come out on stage for a few songs tonight as well. I've overcome my anxiety with being on stage. Mainly with Alex. He is my rock. He is my safe haven and he will forever remain that way. I couldn't imagine my life with anybody else or even any different. I've moved on from what happened to me. I'm not traumatized anymore. In fact, I look back on it now and find luck within in. What hell would I be in if that hadn't happened? I was saved. Both from that situation and myself. One wouldn't be without the other.

"Ri," I hear Jack call. "We're here." He smiles wide and I jump from the couch and into his arms. He steps back to regain his balance.

"I'm so proud of you all." I say, tears brimming along my eyes.

"Nothing for me?" Alex asks. I open my eyes and look up from Jack's shoulder and at Alex. He's in a pair of black skinny jeans and a light blue t shirt. I let go of Jack and smile at Alex.

"Of course, baby." I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him lightly before nuzzling my face into the crook of his neck. "I'm so proud of you." I whisper in his ear. "And I love you."

He sighs happily and chills cover my neck. "I love you too."

"Well the," I say and pull back, keeping my hands around him. "Let's get to set up." He smiles wide and leaps from my arms and Jack and I jog to keep up with him. Rian and Zack are already setting up. They're the early birds out of us all. They always have been.

I follow Alex and with Jack at my side. He looks at me and smiles wide. "Thank you, Riley." He says quietly. Sincerity fills his eyes. I furrow my eyebrows.

"For what, Jacky?"

"You gave us the motivation to do this again. It would have always been there but you really pushed us." He wraps a friendly arm around me for a hug while we follow Alex through the chilly hallway. Rian and Zack's voice echoes and I know we're close.

"Hey, don't talk like that." I smack his arm gently and he pulls his arm off of me and laughs.

"Behave back there, Jack." Alex jokes and turns back to throw a wink in my direction. Jack sticks his tongue out in response.

Finally, we find Rian and Zack. They're on the floor looking up at the stage. It's a pretty big arena. Not to mention the show is also sold out. I picture the hundreds of people bouncing to the beat as they sing along, excitment pulsing through their veins. Then, I look at the stage. And boy is it big too. I imagine myself up there with the guys, singing along with Alex and feeling Rian's drums puling in my chest. I feel butterflies fill my stomach.

Other than that, Rian and Zack got a lot done. They had help from some of the tech guys who operate the lights and smoke and all. What's left is the more decorational side of things. That I will enjoy. Right now, it's past lunch. After we set up we'll eat our packed lunches from the cooler and go to warm up. The show starts in about three hours. At 7 actually. It's 4 now. We should have come over earlier but Jack was a bit hungover and Alex and I, well, had a very long night. So once we got up, we all took our time. The guys were only here for about two hours before us. Not too awful.

I nose around until I find the large sign that hangs behind them on stage. Rian and Zack help me with it while Alex and Jack go work with the streamers that will shoot out.

"You guys pumped?" I ask as we carry the sign to the stage.

Rian chuckles, a little breathless from having to rush to keep up with the pace Zack has set. I too am a bit breathless. "You know it, Ri."

"Hell yes." Zack shouts, no sign of stuggle in hisloud and propelling voice. He smiles his little dorky smile and reaches to me with one hand and rubs my head, messing up my hair. "I miss your purple hair."

"Lavander," Rian mocks me before I correct him. My hair is now back to it's natural dark brown color. I roll my eyes at Rian and focus on setting this thing down.

We unroll it and hook the top onto the hooks that will hoist it up. We give the tech guy helping us the okay to lift and and he presses the big red button. Rian and Zack assist it on it's way up so it doesn't snag on anything and tear. Once it's up, Alex and Jack walk from the back room with large boxes of the blue and white streamers. They walk to stand beside us and turn to look at the banner. We all stand in awe.

The light blue and white decorate the banner all around and at the top in big print so it's evident is written Future Hearts. All of the songs they had written over the years that they weren't touring are now an album. It went into the store about three months ago. We all figured now would be a good time to come back on the scene. Alex sighs. "I love it." His eyes light up and he sits the boxes down and picks me up. He spins me around and I laugh at him.

He sets me back down and Jack makes a fake gaging sound and Zack smacks his arm. "No fair!" Jack shouts back. He only laughs in reply.

"Come on, let's finish up decorating so we can eat our lunch without rushing." I say and grab the boxes Alex sat down.