9. Perfect Flaws

9.1

"If you are not stroked, your spinal cord will shrivel up."

Psychology contains many interesting theories to generalize, explain, and even predict human behavior. Though Eric Berne's Games People Play, where the quote was taken from, drew criticism for the oversimplification of complex behavior among other flaws, the ideas present in the book were interesting, novel abstractions that could explain why people acted as they did.

The psychoanalyst Rene Spitz explained how the love and affection of mothers was necessary for infants to thrive. Indeed, this was often the reason why babies brought up in institutions such as children's homes or training facilities suffered from developmental decline. These babies became withdrawn, lost weight, and even died as a result.

The quote "if you are not stroked, your spinal cord will shrivel up" then serves as a colloquialism emphasizing the importance of emotional wellbeing. Of course, excessive stroking is unhealthy, creating feelings akin to overstimulation in babies. The idea Berne's book suggests that this desire for "stroking" remains as the individual ages, though it takes different forms.

One common example is the everyday exchanges between loose acquaintances. Most people are familiar with the following conversation template.

A and B encounter one another.

B: Hello, how are you?

A: I'm fine, you?

B: I'm good. See you later.

A: Yeah, take care.

A and B go to their respective destinations.

Logically, this interaction is useless. Whatever information exchanged is unlikely to be important or reliable. Even if A was not "fine", would he tell B? In fact, if both individuals are always "fine" then there is no need to converse. The outcome is already known.

The actual conversation then, lies in the stroking. Consider the same encounter with the internal conversation included.

A and B encounter one another.

B: Hello (B has acknowledged the presence of A. This feels good.) , how are you? (B seems interested in A's life. Ah, just like my mother's stroking.)

A: I'm fine (A has acknowledged the words of B. I love your gentle hands on my back, B.) , you? (A seems interested in B's life. Yes mommy...)

B: I'm good (B has acknowledged the words of A. Ah, that's the spot.). See you later. (B will continue to stroke A in the future. It is good to invest wisely.)

A: Yeah (A has acknowledged the words of B. Not there, A! That's naughty...), take care. (A indicates his care about the existence of B. B swoons, his infant body trembling with emotion, accepting the morally repugnant caresses of A.)

A and B go to their respective destinations.

Perhaps an exaggeration, but these could represent the subconscious feelings of the small, in this case abnormally aware child within many people, driving them to waste their time.

Why is this relevant? Because I am going to ask Horikita out for lunch today.

9.2

"Hi, Ayanokoji-kun! It's weird seeing you here so early."

Kushida Kikyo stood in front of me, clad in a shimmering, gorgeous outfit. No, that wasn't it. Kushida was wearing the school uniform, the same clothes as every other girl (and some strange boys). The shimmer and glow was coming from the bewitching Kushida herself.