3. My Ordinary Life

3.1

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

It appears that no matter how grand or prestigious an institution may be, there will always be one aspect that is constant. Even if the students enrolled have billionaires for parents, if the least intelligent pupil won the Nobel prize, or if the chairs were replaced by beanbags to save the privileged bottoms from any woe, that constant would remain.

Entrance ceremonies are boring.

The issue with entrance ceremonies is that once you have attended one of them, there is no point in going to another. It is actually quite similar to national anthems in that respect, though people rarely binge anthems in their spare time. To understand the concept, consider the following lyrics:

My Country

The land where my blood has spilt

The people living united and progressive

May God bestow blessing and happiness

May our King have a successful reign

May God bestow blessing and happiness

May our King have a successful reign

This is an English translation of a country's national anthem, with the name of the country replaced with a generic "My Country". Which country's anthem is this? It could be any country with a monarch. Of course, the purpose of the national anthem is not to be unique, and not every anthem is like this. Many anthems include lyrics that describe features distinct to their country. However, anthems like the one above are not the exception, but the norm.

Entrance ceremonies are similar. The faculty and students exchange repetitive words of gratitude, and much of the time is spent in rigid lines with nothing meaningful to do. The returning students may feel some bond to their school, but this was hardly the case for the newcomers. The only thing that kept many students from openly yawning was the reminder that ANHS was the most prestigious school in Japan.

And then again, the painful reminder of what the entrance ceremony stands for. After each ceremony, the student embarks on a series of trials: elementary school, junior high, and high school. If, within a few days of the entrance ceremony, a student failed to make any social connections, barring a miracle they would remain an outcast for the next 3 years.

I do not particularly like having friends, but not having any can lead to unnecessary trouble. Considering my introduction an hour ago, my chances were only dwindling. It did not help that my class included weird people such as Horikita, Koenji, Yamauchi, and Ike who a normal person like me had difficulty making friends with. I suppose I have my own special quirk-

No. Everything about me is perfectly normal. I was just a lone bird who escaped its cage all on its own. There is nothing special about me.

3.2

The entrance ceremony concluded without incident, and the students dispersed, clearly not wanting to stay in the hall any longer than they were forced to. Most of the students headed to the dormitories, while others split into their various groups to explore the facilities the school had to offer.

Having no friends to accompany me, I decided to awkwardly explore the campus on my own. After a general exploration of the passageways around the campus, I went to the convenience store on the lookout for any necessities.