4. The Way Out

Author's Note: No, the god referred to in the previous chapter is not Yamauchi.

4.1

I was about to drift off to sleep in my new bed, in a new room, at a new school. I considered the possibility that trying to fall asleep in completely different surroundings would be difficult, but this was not the case. The beds provided by the school, though only single beds, were tailored to student comfort.

Choose.

Is no time period off-limits for this god? I reopened my eyes and paid close attention to the words that would follow.

1. A beautiful girl will fall from the sky, landing in your room.

2. You will fall down from your room, landing on the ground.

Ridiculous. These choices have hardly any meaning, and are completely out of my control. Assume that I have selected #1. Will I then have to drag Horikita up to the penthouse and toss her down? Or will these choices be arranged by the god, and I simply have to choose one? In any case, a fall from 4 floors up can lead to severe injury. There have been cases of people jumping from 4 floors, and even landing on one's feet can shatter the hips, driving bones in the legs up to the lungs. Landing on the arms or knees would be the safest, but severe, lifelong injury remained certain.

The primary issue with #1 is its ambiguity. What can I do with the beautiful girl? Will there be significant damage to my room if she falls inside? The word "sky" is also unclear. If she falls from the exosphere, like a meteor, she will be cooked crisp by the thermosphere on her way down. I already have my G-cup cup noodles to eat.

However, if the fall is very small and "sky" just means a couple meters up, then she may just ricochet off the window and hit the ground. I will have to leave these details to whoever oversees this Absolute Choice.

Not wanting to damage my average body, I selected #1.

...

How do I select it though?

...

Ultimately, I decided to just wave my hand at the sky to summon the girl. I felt much like a little child clapping his hands, believing that his movements made the elevator doors open. I could not see anything in the sky. However, since I was not experiencing any headaches or paralysis, I could conclude that my choice had been selected properly.

I decided to open my window. Cleaning the glass fragments could be tedious.

I stared up at the sky, waiting for my guest. She was taking a while to arrive. Oh. Found her.

The girl fell with a peculiar amount of grace for someone travelling at such a high speed. I noticed that she was wearing a very short skirt, an intelligent choice for travelling in the mesosphere, where temperatures are generally around 5°C. She fell without making any high-pitched sounds typical for people travelling quickly, and instead held a serene expression on her face as her altitude decreased. Her blonde hair seemed to glitter in the moonlight as she gave me a casual wave from high in the air.

As she drew nearer to my room, she gracefully changed direction until she entered through the window. How was that even possible?

She smiled as a form of greeting.

"Hello, Ayanokoji-kun."

Then she fell down headfirst on the floor of my room. She was knocked out cold in a rather graceless manner.