2. The First Day

2.1

Horikita: Wait! You were trying to constrict my breathing on the bus. Why?

I looked at Horikita, who had just asked me a very pertinent question. How would I answer this? I have no interest in involving Horikita in my life, meaning that unveiling the truth is the incorrect course of action. Since truth is eliminated, it leaves lying. I am not particularly good at lying, but I suppose I can try.

I recall a conversation regarding priority seats earlier on the bus trip. I doubt Horikita looked up from her book. Perhaps I can use this.

Ayanokoji: Sorry, I guess I was just interested, that is all. I mean, you didn't consider giving up your seat to the old woman, right?

Horikita: ...Are you a terrible liar, or some kind of NPC in a video game? What does that have to do with choking me? Anyway, how did you endure my jab at your wrist without feeling any pain?

Ayanokoji: What are you talking about?

It is possible that the effects of the bus ride's Absolute Choice are still in effect. This means that I am forced give noncommital answers to whatever questions she asks as part of the "feign ignorance" demand.

The strange thing is Horikita's behaviour. Why is she troubling me about this? If she is so angry about having her seatbelt pulled by some hooligan, why not try to complain to a teacher or something? Surely some passenger watched the incident occur. If not, she should leave me alone. I don't understand why she is so keen on questioning me. However, perhaps I can take advantage of this illogical behaviour of hers in the future.

For now, I will conduct a tactical retreat, "advancing backwards" into safety. I fixed my opponent with a calm stare, puffed up my chest in order to appear slightly bigger, and spoke:

Ayanokoji: Ah, my stomach really hurts. Ciao.

Horikita: Hey, wait!

I then ran towards the campus, leaving my enemy in the dust. It would not be an exaggeration to say that running is the one singular thing I am good at.

2.2

Upon arriving at the classroom denoted by the sign 1-D, I sat on the seat bearing my nameplate. It was situated in the last row, next to the window. Not much of an NPC then...

I glanced at the seat next to mine, and noticed the name "Horikita Suzune". What a pretty name.

The girl from the bus, Horikita (placeholder name) sat on the seat with the nameplate "Horikita Suzune". What a weird name.

Author's Note: So Horikita is Horikita. Did you see that coming?

Horikita gave me a glare and let out a dramatic sigh.

Horikita: What an unpleasant coincidence. Must I have to constantly interact with all the world's clowns? I wonder if I am seated here to balance out your idiocy.

Why is she still talking? In any case, this is the equivalent of an implicit social ultimatum. If I do not do something here, my school life would be under fire by this woman. Perhaps I should offer some kind of peace treaty.

Ayanokoji: Sorry. I don't know what came over me. I should not have caused you trouble.

Horikita looked bewildered. First, Ayanokoji tried to choke her with the seatbelt, then he vehemently denied doing so, and finally he apologizes? This must be some kind of trick. However, Horikita will prove her maturity, accepting the apology of this charlatan.