XII

"April, Vern! Hey!" We had all met up after Vern and I were treated for our wounds. I got some light stitchwork on my leg while I also had to have surgery to remove the bullet from my thigh. Vern got his wound on his arm treated. My shoulder was also damaged but I actually didn't really notice.

"How's your arm, Vern?" He sighs.

"Well, it wouldn't be much use in a fight. Not that I was much use before, but..."

"What do you mean? You knocked out Sacks after he tried to shoot me. That was totally tubular."

"Did you get a new car?" Vern looks back at it and smiles.

"Yeah. You're looking at the new Fenwick Express. Pretty sweet, huh? Kind of an upgrade. I figured I'd need new wheels after my old work vehicl went boom. And you," he pointed to me and gave me a heavy case of stank-eye.

"Can NEVER drive this car. But yeah, Channel 6 gave it to me. They said "don't put a scratch on it" but like, lightning's going to strike twice."

"So is that why you called me here? To talk about your new car?" April smiles. "And how about YN?"

"Hey, I just tagged along. Besides, I have a feeling." April rolls her eyes.

"You always have a feeling, YN." Vern chuckles and I giggle at Arpil.

"I know you're not exactly a fancy restaurant kind of girl, so I figured a creepy underpass in an abandoned neighborhood in the middle of the night was more your speed."

"I'm gonna stick here, a minute. You guys should go for a journey on the Fenwick Express," I smirk at April and nudge her shoulder.

"I wanted you to be comfortable." Just then, a raggety, graffiti-mess garbage truck rolls up and I smile goofily, knowing exactly who it is. I mean, there was even a goofy car horn and everything. Of course, it was Mikey, Raph, Leo, and Donnie.
Mikey stands, his top half hanging out of the car door and he makes a scratching record sound. "DJ Mikey in the house!" I run to the truck and run my hand along the door.

"Smooth ride, guys." I hop in past Mikey and sit down, smiling at April and Vern. "Told you I had a feeling."

"What are you guys doing here?"

"We figured we owed you guys a thanks for keeping our secret."

"You got a lot to gain from telling people about us," Raph nudges my shoulder and I nudge him back, My elbow hitting his torso. "But you had our backs."

"Yeah, cause that's what family's for, Raph." Raph blushes and looks away from April then makes eye contact with her again. 'Does he like her?'

"So, you guys are driving now?"

"Yeah, man. I pimped this bad boy out." Donnie makes hand gestures to the vehicle features and I smile, sitting next to Raph. "Got a 42-inch plasma with the NBA package, shave ice machine, 7.1 digital surround sound."

"Sweet. It's the pimp mobile, man." Leo chuckles. "Great lighting too, honestly."

"Check the bass, bra." Mikey presses a button and by the looks of it, I don't think it was a good idea. Suddenly, a rocket hits Vern's new car and explodes. Vern's face was so sad looking.

"Uh-oh."

"Ooh," we all reply, I cover my mouth with my fist and suck my teeth.
"Daaaaaang..."

"My bad. I'm still figuring out the buttons." Mikey nervously hoots with laughter and taps the roof of the truck.

"That was my new Fenwick Express! I just... I just got that." Vern looks at the car and puts a hand on his heart.

"We better get out of here. Want a ride home?" I nod at Leo and smile.

"Sure, man!"

"You know what? I think we're gonna take the subway. We're going to take the subway." April puts a hand on Vern's chest and tries to walk away from the truck I was currently sitting in.

"You sure? I got a real nice song that's all cued up. It's special, girl."

"No, don't," Raph says annoyingly.

"What song is it?" He ignores me and wipes his hand down his face.

"For us."

"Come on, Mikey. No, no, no, Mikey, you promised."

"What did he promise?!"
——
Word Count: 720