11. Avoiding Death

Hay Babes! I give full credit to my friend @Excusemyfrench for this chapter! Thanks Alexa for having my back and bein' an awesome bestie! <333

***********************************************************************************************

As we drove on, my eyes continue to drift back to the car behind us and to Sam's unmoving body. I won't let the Experiments have him... If he's dead, he'll have a proper burial. I won't leave him behind. I pull into the driveway as I watch the air shift and change colors. The force field.

I click on a button of the car, creating a gate for us to drive through, the woman driving in with her kids and her husband. We drive in as the force field closes behind us.

My heartbeat quickens as I pull out Sam and the family follows us inside the house.

"Miss Loni, what happened?" Alfred gasps, "Sam."

I place his body on the couch as Alfred slowly runs to his side. Sam was like a son to Alfred. He grabs Sam's hand and blesses him with a prayer to God. Sam lays there peacefully, the bite on his shoulder green and smoking.

My head shakes as I tell the family to follow me to the guest room and Sam's room.

"I'm sorry about that... A friend of ours was lost to the Experiments," Kirsty apologizes.

"You guys can stay here for the time being. Please make yourselves at home," I smile at them.

Kirsty's POV:

I feel so bad for Loni. She's been crying over Sam's body for at least an hour. The family we saved has been locked up in the second story for a while. I can't believe Sam's gone either, I mean, I barely knew him, but he seemed like a pretty cool guy...

I sigh as I look out the windows, Experiments, or whatever Loni called them, walk up to the force field and deteriorate on contact. I sigh as I trace the windowsill with my fingertip.

It feels like Loni's heartbrokenness has affected all of us. Even Jane, who's still kind of, well, high from the morphine, knows something's wrong. I don't think she knows that Sam's dead yet. I don't get it. This kind of stuff only happens in movies or out of this world books... wait, who am I kidding? I don't read books. But the movies always had a happy ending which must mean it'll happen for us... right? I mean, there has to be a hero in the story.

"Loni, you can't keep that dead body around! You know it might turn into one of them!" a hushed conversation echoes through the halls.

A feminine sigh resonates through the hall, "Who said you're calling the shots here? Last time I checked, I was in charge of this situation. I brought these people back here and I'm going to kill those mother-" I cover my ears in innocence and then listen again, "All of this is Jane's fault. Sam wouldn't be dead if it weren't for her and we wouldn't be in this position if not for her! The only danger worse than the Experiments is Jane! If anything, get rid of her!"

I gasp at this. Loni, a few hours ago had just saved Jane and a plane full of people, how could she so rashly change her mind and through Jane out under the bus? I mean, I may not know Jane that well and she may have made some bad mistakes, but no one deserves to die in such a horrific way...

"Stop being so rash. Either you get rid of the body, or I will. It's your choice," footsteps draw near as  redirect my attention to the window. In the reflection I see the Doctor come out and push his glasses up higher on his nose. His business suit strains against him as he walks over to Jane and puts his hand to her head.

My ears pick up on a sound like a weeping woman full of pain. My hands push myself off the windowsill and my legs involuntarily walk towards the sound. A mess of blonde hair sits before me as the smell of teardrops overwhelm me.

"L-Loni?" she shudders as I say this and sobbing continues to slip from underneath the curtain of her hair.

Loni pulls her blonde hair to her shoulder as her eyes remain wet with tears and puffy with pain, "Kirsty, pl-please go make sure everyone else is okay. I'll be fine, just-just leave me here."

I nod my head, giving her space as I walk towards the stairs. Giving her one last glance, I charge upwards, hoping with every fiber of my being that she'll be okay.

Loni's POV:

My eyes scan Sam's angelic face as my fingertips carress his cheek. I can't do it. How-how could I? To let him go? There's no possible way I could do that and if I do? What then? If I crossed his Experiment self, then I would never bring myself to shoot him! I grab his hand, bringing it to my lips.

"Miss Loni?" Alfred gently touches my shoulder giving me a feeling of comfort.

"Yes, Alfred?"

"Would you mind me asking what happened? If it's too soon, please tell me I've overstepped my boundaries-" I cut him off with a wave.

Turning, I smile at the old man, "It's okay..." I tell him the story, bit by bit of how Jane needed me in Paris, the Experiments got loose, and how Sam was shot by one of the Experiments on his way to help Jane and I.

Alfred looks at Sam with his wise, green eyes, then turns his attention to me again, "I know it's hard Loni, loosing someone so dear to you, but you must continue your life despite the pain. Please, listen to me," he grabs my hands with his shaking, bony hands, "Promise me- promise me that you will continue on with life and save the world, not for you, but for Sam. It's what he would have wanted."

I look up at him, feeling like a silly child crying over a dropped cookie, "I-I promise, Alfred."

He smiles at me and takes me up in is arms, kissing the top of my head. Alfred always had the power to make me feel better and he has always served as a fatherly figure since my father had never forgiven me for killing my mom... Kirsty and Alfred are the closing things I have to family.

I pull away from him, once again taking Sam's hand, "I think I'm ready to let him go..."

Alfred smiles, "It would be best."

My eyes tear up as I give one last cry to the man I loved, wrapping my arms around his unmoving body. I can hear my heart pounding in my ears like a drum.

Suddenly, I gasp. That's not my heartbeat. Could it be...?