2. Avoiding the Past

"That's not important, Kirsty. What's important is that I teach you how to hunt," I hand her a large bow that she balances in her petite hands.

"Can I change first?" she says, looking at her pink poka-dotted tank top and her pink ripped jeans. Her blonde hair matches my own except hers is neatly curled while mine is pulled back in a messy bun.

"Fine, five minutes, meet me at the shooting range," I smile, pulling on a lever that opens up a passage.

"Thanks, Aunt Loni!" she squeals and scurries off, leaving me with one last sentence of, "I finally get to use my hunting gear Daddy bought me!"

"You're taking Kirsty to the shooting range?" a familiar voice comes from the archway.

"Of course I am, Alfred. She has to learn to be prepared," I turn to my butler who smiles while dusting the weaponry.

"Just, are you sure it's safe? With what happened to you?" he reminds me, making me look down to the inside of the elbow where I had been shot.

I sigh, rubbing the back of my neck, "Alfred, have Sam watch us from a distance while we're doing this. I do want to keep Kirsty safe from me. Plus, I'll be teaching, not doing."

"Alright, Miss Loni. Be careful," Alfred walks out of the room. I sigh again, ducking into the passage and walking through the safety room that leads to the shooting range. I admire the large range of weaponry on the wall, the large pantry full of food, and the multitude of sleeping matts on the floor. Always prepared for anything, I tell myself. Walking towards the far vault door, I open it with my key. Twisting the knob, it opens, revealing a large panel of targets and a large range of arrows.

My bow bends back as I string it with skill, not taking a second to push the string over the holder. The arrow slides gracefully onto the bow as I change my stance. Aiming at the target, I take a large, deep breath. I exhale, letting the arrow fly right before turning my bow to a noise I had heard coming in.

"Loni!" Sam's voice warns as a frightened Kirsty stares at my empty bow. I drop the bow remembering how close I was to releasing an arrow on Kirsty. If I had released that arrow a second later, it would have gone through Kirsty's heart. I look back at the target. Spot on. I had gotten the arrow perfectly in the center.

"I am so sorry, Kirsty," I breath out.

"That was awesome!" she squeals.

"I almost killed you! How in the world is that awesome?" I kick myself.

"You got a bullseye! Thats Amazing! You're awesome!" she gestures to the target.

I wave to Sam who stands behind the one way mirror. I quickly pull the bow from the target, shaking my head.

"Get your bow ready," I command Kirsty.

"Okay! Wait... How do I do that?" she messes with the bow resting it on her right arm.

"Are you right handed or left like me?" I slip the arrow I had shot moments ago into the holster.

"I'm right handed," she puts the bow on the ground as I hand her a forearm guarding pad. My fingers click it in place around Kirsty's left forearm. I hand her the bow, putting it on her left arm. Taking her right arm, I make her pull on the string with three fingers, no arrow resting on the side.

"Like this," I put her in stance.

"Can I have an arrow now?" she smiles, walking to the holster.

"Yeah, sure. Be careful and take a deep breath before you release. As you release, exhale, it helps," I smile at her enthusiasm.

"Okay!" she pulls the bow onto her left arm, gripping the arrow between three fingers. Pulling the string back with the arrow, she aims, taking a deep breath, then releasing. It flies off behind the targets and hits the padded, back wall.

"Oops," she lowers her head, "I'm not really good at this."

"Yeah you are, you just have to find your strength-" I'm cut off by a ringing, "Hold on." I fiddle with my vest, pulling a pocket up. My fingers wrap around the buzzing phone as I put it to my ear.

"Hello?" I ask the person on the other line.

"Loni! Something happened and we need you here, quick!" a person I haven't heard from in a while whisper/yells.

"Jane? I told you never to call me again. I don't want anything else to do with your little experiments," I turn my back to Kirsty so she can't hear.

"I know, we messed up really bad and need your help. It's pretty big, Loni," she pleads.

"Fine. I'll be there tomorrow as it's so late to travel," I shake my head, sighing.

"Please hurry!" the other line cuts off.

"Hey, Sam. Take care of Kirsty for me, I'm going to France."

=====================================================

Hey Babes! So tell me what you thought and I'm still open to adding people in as characters! Than ks for reading! :*